Finance Coordinator, Sustainable Agriculture -- Finance & Administration
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
The Coordinator is responsible for providing finance and accounting support for the United Kingdom operation of Rainforest Alliance and selected projects within the Sustainable Agriculture unit. S/he will ensure compliance with finance, accounting, contracts and administrative requirements as established by Rainforest Alliance headquarters, the project donors and local legislation. S/he will work under the supervision of the Finance Manager, Sustainable Agriculture and will coordinate closely with the head office Accounting Manager and administrative lead in the UK.
- Serve as “finance lead” for a select number of grants in the Sustainable Agriculture unit, monitoring the financial well-being of these projects;
- Maintain project pipelines, updating them with new financial data on a monthly basis in order to track spending and commitments made against the projects;
- Coordinate with the “program lead” on upcoming costs and cash flow status, anticipating financial difficulties and mitigating problems;
- Coordinate the preparation of periodic project financial reports and reimbursement requests and/or invoices to donors;
- Periodically assist in the formulation of budgets for project proposals according to the protocols established by the Development team and in coordination with the personnel directly involved in the execution of the project;
- Assist project staff in the preparation and tracking of project contractual agreements, consulting contracts, subcontracts and sub-agreements for processing with headquarters Finance & Administration (HQ F&A), including conducting due diligence to ensure that expenditures are in-line with budgetary limitations;
- Conduct queries using financial tools, analyze data with program managers and carry out follow up activities as required; and
- Assist with the annual fiscal year budgeting processes for selected projects in the Sustainable Agriculture unit in line with Rainforest Alliances’ internal budget.
- Manage bookkeeping responsibilities for the United Kingdom;
- Assemble and submit monthly reporting of accounting transactions to headquarters in New York;
- Administer the payment process for vendors and staff reimbursements, which include reviewing and verifying backup documentation and proper authorisations; process approved payments of expenses and travel advances;
- Track receipts, including cheques and wires, and as appropriate, ensure safekeeping and timely deposit of cheques into Rainforest Alliance bank account;
- Perform bank reconciliations;
- Maintain accounts database and supporting records;
- Work in conjunction with Senior Associate, Administration to ensure finance-related compliance including coordinating with external accountants and auditors as needed to prepare and present the reports required by various government entities in close coordination with HQ F&A;
- Ensure best practice, by updating/implementing internal control policies and procedures in accordance with HQ F&A and UK local policies;
- Maintain Local authorities matrix including signatory and approval responsibilities;
- Administer local banking relationship(s) in conjunction with Senior Associate, Administration;
- Support and facilitate the rollout of Microsoft Dynamics Accounting system;
- Assist with HQ F&A annual audit and UK audit; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in Business Administration, or Accounting or related area;
- Minimum 2 years of professional work experience administering finance, accounting and budgetary activities for a dynamic program or business;
- Experience in NGO sector project finances preferred;
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Advanced user of Microsoft Excel and experience using electronic accounting programs; experience with Microsoft Dynamics desirable;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively as a member of a team;
- Fluent in both written and spoken English;
- Excellent organisation and analytical skills, with emphasis on project and financial management; be able to analyze priorities, and multi-task with strong attention to detail; and
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 5% a year.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in the UK will be considered.
Send CV, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, Warnford Court, 29 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2AT. E-mail: email@example.com. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.