Manager, Major Gifts
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
The Manager, Major Gifts works closely with the Senior Manager of Major Gifts to support activities to meet the Rainforest Alliance Major Gifts fundraising goals. S/he is responsible for the management of major donor fundraising efforts, including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors. S/he supervises Major Gift staff members.
- Supports the fundraising efforts of executive staff and senior solicitors including assistance with identification of prospects; creation of strategies for cultivation, solicitation, closing, and stewardship; and writing and editing (or supervising the preparation of) briefings, talking points, proposals, reports, letters and other donor correspondence.
- Administer the solicitation appeals and stewardship calendar for Major Gifts; manage staff directly responsible for said tasks and manage consultants who produce appeals materials and mailings;
- Administer the planned giving program, including cultivation and stewardship of existing Judith Sulzberger Society members, informing prospect and current donors of planned giving opportunities through mailings and personal outreach;
- Manage the Canopy Associate portfolio of donors and prospects, through personal meetings, telephone and electronic communication, as appropriate;
- Supervise major gift processing, acknowledgement, and premium mailing procedures;
- Manage, track and report on the Major Gifts revenue and projections;
- Manage Major Gifts expense budget, ensure accurate tracking and reporting; and
- Other duties as assigned.
This position may oversee staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Minimum of 7 years of proven experience in nonprofit development with an Individual Giving focus;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to eloquently speak and write about Rainforest Alliance’s programs;
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage teams;
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with donors and prospects;
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of major gift donors in order to develop relationships;
- Interest in the environment and a dedication to promoting the organization’s fundraising priorities through developing excellent relationships with program, development, and executive staff colleagues;
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of successfully completing assignments;
- Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish preferred;
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office and Internet), including Luminate database; and
- Willingness to travel a minimum of 5% of the time.
Commensurate with experience.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15281121. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.