Vice President, Markets Transformation
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Vice President, Markets Transformation will work with companies, industries, and stakeholders to drive sustainable practices on the ground and throughout the value chain. S/he will set the strategies and oversee implementation of consumer outreach and management of relationships with companies. Her/his responsibilities will include ensuring excellence in service delivery and development of valued new offerings to clients. The VP will lead a global team of professionals responsible for the market share of Rainforest Alliance certified and verified products and services. S/he will help us demonstrate that sustainable businesses thrive in the global economy, while contributing to a sustainable future.
In addition to specific responsibilities related to the VP, Markets Transformation role, this individual will also be the senior representative within the London office.
- Develop and oversee implementation of Rainforest Alliance’s ten year vision and five year plan for the Markets Transformation Division;
- Prioritize work with industries, companies and products that will most effectively contribute to the advancement of Rainforest Alliance’s mission;
- Oversee the implementation of industry and individual company strategies to ensure Rainforest Alliance meets or exceeds its commitments;
- Provide strategic leadership towards outstanding service offers to companies and increased market share of Rainforest Alliance certified or verified goods and services;
- Develop collaborative and trusting relationships with corporate CEOs, sustainability and procurement executives, high level government officials and key NGO and opinion leaders;
- Set up effective systems and processes to facilitate exemplary internal and external communication and collaboration;
- Establish and maintain credibility and expertise in sustainable consumption and markets by being actively involved in industry pursuits and events, including speaking engagements, publications and other opportunities;
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Rainforest Alliance, engaging key opinion leaders and stakeholder communities globally and cultivate change agents within industries of our interest;
- Working with Rainforest Alliance’s Communications and Marketing team, identify and pursue opportunities to raise awareness and understanding of the value of the RAC, FSC and RA verified marks; and
- Identify and secure new earned and raised revenue opportunities.
In addition, the Rainforest Alliance will be looking for the Vice President, Markets transformation to:
- Create an environment of success and teamwork that motivates the performance of all team members;
- Create opportunities for growth and development of staff, especially the high performers within the Markets Transformation group;
- Monitor and review results versus planned performance and take quick, decisive actions, in concert with teams, when there is clear variance to plan;
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, economics or related discipline; MBA, masters or European equivalent degree preferred;
- 15 years of senior management experience in business/market development, international sales or supply chain management, eco labelling and/or campaign development and outreach, global account management in consumer goods, retail or travel;
- Strong commercial skills, multiple product knowledge across varied lines of business; demonstrated success in high-value, business-to-business, solution selling;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills;
- Written and verbal proficiency in Spanish, French or other relevant foreign language preferred;
- Impeccable interpersonal skills and an excellent team player;
- Solid understanding of social and environmental certification systems preferred and knowledge of the latest trends related to corporate social responsibility and sustainability; extensive knowledge of local business culture and markets;
- High degree of organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple priorities efficiently and effectively; a high degree of self-motivation, discipline and flexibility is required;
- Strong leadership skills; executive maturity and experience to manage and broker complex internal and external business discussions; experienced at managing diverse and distant teams in a matrix reporting environment;
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally at a minimum of 30% of the time; and
- Knowledge of and commitment to environmental issues and sustainability practices.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided.
Only candidates authorized to work in the United Kingdom will be considered for this position.
RA has retained Korn/Ferry Futurestep, an executive search firm for the recruitment of this position. Interested candidates should contact the firm directly at:
Senior Consultant, Life Sciences
T +44 (0)207 024 9296
M +44 (0)792 072 5048
Korn/Ferry Futurestep, Ryder Court, 14 Ryder Street, London SW1Y 6QB; http://www.kornferry.com/Futurestep.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.