Sustainability starts at home. When you choose goods and services for your family, make sure they are contributing to the well-being of communities and fostering the long-term health of the planet. Here are a few ideas:
- Buy foods grown on Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms. Choose coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate, bananas, orange juice, guava, pineapple, passion fruit, plantains, macadamia nuts and flowers that come from healthy farms where rainforest is conserved and workers receive fair treatment. Find out where to buy Rainforest Alliance Certified products near you »
- Purchase Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)/Rainforest Alliance Certified™ wood products. Do your part to conserve forests around the world by buying wood and wood products that are responsibly harvested and processed. See a complete list of FSC/Rainforest Alliance Certified wood products.
- Choose responsible vacations. Sustainable tourism dollars directly benefit the environment and the communities you visit. View a list of vacation options and get more information about the positive impacts of responsible tourism.
Learn more about rainforests and teach children, friends and family. Our website offers free rainforest-related lessons and activities that are used in classrooms around the country. Check out the Rainforest Alliance's kids' activities and species profiles to explore the wonders of the rainforest and learn more about the people, plants and animals that live there.Photo credit: David Dudenhoefer
- Take control of your mailbox Subscribe to Catalog Choice, a free service that lets you communicate your mail preferences to companies and reduces the number of unwanted catalogues in your mailbox. Utilize the online bill pay options provided by most credit card, gas and electric, and cable companies.
- Support renewable energy and energy efficient technology. Choose Energy Star® rated appliances, energy-efficient light bulbs and consider installing a solar energy system.
- Organize a local fundraising event. Bring together neighbors, family and friends for a "Rainforest Run" or a "Rainforest Rummage Sale" and donate the proceeds to an organization that is conserving rainforests.
- Become a member of the Rainforest Alliance!