The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Development Manager, Latin America will be responsible for meeting revenue targets for RA’s work in Latin America and implementing the strategies required to do so. A primary focus will be on institutional donors including bilateral, multilateral, corporate and foundation funders in Mexico, with additional responsibilities for prospects throughout Latin America. S/he will build relationships and network with donors to stay abreast of funding opportunities; lead the writing of concepts and proposals; and coordinate effectively with Rainforest Alliance field staff to design and execute fundraising strategies across the region. This position will manage a portfolio of Latin American donors while maintaining close coordination with Institutional Giving colleagues in the United States and Landscapes and Livelihoods staff throughout Latin America, in particular with the Regional Director and country leads. The Development Manager, Latin America will be expected to represent the organization in meetings and negotiations with donors, and provide support to Board members, senior management, and international program staff in their interactions with donors in the region.
- Along with the Mexico Director, Latin America Director, and the Senior Manager, Corporate and Foundations Relations, implement an overall strategy to secure institutional funding for Mexico consistent with the organization’s revenue goals;
- Serve as the main point of contact between Rainforest Alliance and key institutional donors in Latin America, representing the organization through in-person meetings and phone calls to advance funding opportunities; stay abreast of opportunities in the international development, poverty alleviation and environmental conservation arena;
- Proactively cultivate partnerships with donors to identify and cultivate new opportunities;
- Write, adapt, and edit proposals and concept papers for unrestricted funding and restricted funding for international field projects and programs;
- Manage research of prospective donors, cultivation and stewardship; and database information for funders in the region;
- Produce country/initiative profiles and other materials to support effective donor cultivation;
- Coordinate closely with RA staff in other priority Latin American countries to ensure the effective alignment of fundraising strategies with technical country strategies, as well as the successful execution of fundraising and donor cultivation strategies;
- Build awareness by representing Rainforest Alliance at relevant conferences and events;
- Prepare President, Executive Vice President, senior staff, and board members for meetings with relevant donors, as appropriate;
- Maintain accurate donor information in donor database (Salesforce); and
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required (Marketing, International Relationships, Communication or related);
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience with at least 3 years of previous fundraising experience;
- Experience with corporate fundraising required, with foundations and government fundraising background also critical;
- Knowledge of environmental (Forest Management, REDD+, Climate Change) and community development issues, and institutional funding mechanisms required;
- Fluent in business English;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English and Spanish, with significant proposal writing experience required;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- High degree of organizational skill, including the ability to manage multiple priorities and work under tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as be an effective team member;
- Ability to work regularly and collaboratively with colleagues who are based in a different geography;
- Experience working with budgets and financial reports;
- Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and with fundraising database systems – Salesforce preferred; and
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 20% of time.
Commensurate with experience.
We believe that all employees, regardless of location or title, should have access to benefits. We strive to provide programs that provide the following:
- Health/medical coverage for staff and family;
- Retirement savings plans;
- Paid time off for holidays/vacations, illness, and personal needs;
- Assistance for adverse situations that might arise while on business travel; and
- Insurance for unfortunate circumstances.
Benefits vary, depending on location. Please talk to your recruiter during your interview about specific benefits for your location.
Only candidates authorized to work in Mexico will be considered.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance Mexico, Concepción Beistegui #13, piso 5, Oficina 502, Colonia Del Valle Centro, Delegación Benito Juárez, C.P. 03100, Ciudad de México.; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.