The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
Lead the Communications & Marketing Division in developing an innovative and pragmatic vision to increase understanding of and support for the Rainforest Alliance’s mission, brand and work among our key audiences worldwide: citizens, business leaders, government officials, educators, colleagues, journalists, donors, and farming and forest communities. The Director will socialize that vision throughout the division and ensure cohesion among the team directors and managers, who develop and implement the actual strategies and tactics in their respective areas. The director should have a supportive, inspiring, and enabling style of leadership to fortify the creative and highly productive culture of the existing team.
- Work with staff, the President, and the Board of Directors to develop an extremely compelling vision for communications, marketing and outreach strategies for the organization.
- Serve as one of the external spokespeople for the Rainforest Alliance at significant stakeholder events and meetings, and guide the strategy and oversight of overall RA participation in events along with effective communications to maximize value of the activities.
- Oversee crisis communication and issues of reputational risk, both for RA and in association with collaborating companies and organizations.
- Promote innovation in all aspects of communication and marketing globally, including in the management and structure of the Division.
- Forecast trends and challenges in sustainability communications and marketing best practices.
- Oversee and evaluate the changing nature of communications and how audiences interact with organizations and issues to ensure the Rainforest Alliance is able to communicate its mission and objectives in ways that engage audiences and lead to actions.
- Ensure the organization continues to be a leader in the use of social media, at which Rainforest Alliance has excelled in relation to most of our peers.
- Greatly expand business promotion and marketing of the Rainforest Alliance brand and mission.
- Engage directly with and encourage businesses to partner in Rainforest Alliance campaigns and promotions, providing them with effective marketing tools and creative campaign strategies and ensure accuracy and integrity of related company campaigns and promotions.
- Support innovation and ensure consistency and effectiveness of all online communications, working to build support across the non-profit community, policymakers, and businesses consistent with the organization’s mission.
- Ensure the Rainforest Alliance maintains an effective presence on influential external communication platforms that effectively engage with our defined audiences.
- Consider and implement development of new databases and attendant promotional strategies that ensure consumers have easy access to products and services bearing the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal and mark.
- Develop fundraising proposals in partnership with Development team, service agreements, reports, plans and budgets.
- Provide staff with guidance and support to improve their skills and opportunities for professional growth.
- Continuously improve and implement systems and techniques to improve output as well as organization-wide internal communications.
- Develop and monitor annual budget and ensure budget is met in collaboration with Communications directors and senior managers.
Lead and inspire a global team of about 25 staff and consultants in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, motivating, inspiring and training employees and consultants; planning, assigning, and enabling high quality work and appraising performance. Serve as a member of the organization-wide Management Team.
Education: College degree required and master’s degree preferred, ideally in a communications and marketing related field together with natural resources management, sustainability, or international development training or significant experience.
Work Experience: About 10 years of progressively responsible experience in public relations, public affairs, marketing, media relations, and/or journalism. Background in conservation, sustainable agriculture, forestry, climate change, human rights, workers’ rights or international development and understanding of related issues highly desirable. Must have demonstrated significant success and impact in previous work at a global level on issues ideally related to the mission of Rainforest Alliance. Experience living and working abroad a plus. Experience in fundraising and developing and managing budgets. Must be a proven inspiring team leader.
Computer and Digital Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point; knowledge of databases and social media tools also required. Demonstrated success in developing innovative social media strategies and achieving impressive growth in social media audiences in comparison to peer NGOs.
Communication Skills: Impeccable writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
Foreign Language Skills: Written and verbal proficiency in languages other than English such as Spanish, French, German, Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia would be a plus.
General Work Behaviors/Skills: Demonstrated team management and leadership skills with ability to interact culturally, and diplomatically with diverse individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. Must be able to build and lead a team of dedicated professionals and have a collaborative, enabling, inspiring, motivating work style. Must be able to delegate responsibility and authority, as appropriate. Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Willing to work flexibly to accommodate the global distribution of staff operating across various time zones.
Travel Requirements: Ability to travel up to about 25% per year.
Commensurate with experience.
We believe that all employees, regardless of location or title, should have access to benefits. We strive to provide programs that provide the following:
- Health/medical coverage for staff and family;
- Retirement savings plans;
- Paid time off for holidays/vacations, illness, and personal needs;
- Assistance for adverse situations that might arise while on business travel; and Insurance for unfortunate circumstances.
Benefits vary, depending on location. Please talk to your recruiter during your interview about specific benefits for your location.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15463931. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.
If you are selected for interview, we will require you to submit samples of your work that demonstrate your proficiency with the above requirements.