The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Forest Management (FM) & Chain of Custody (CoC) Associate will coordinate and manage the execution of FM & CoC certification services for a subset of new and existing Rainforest Alliance clients in the region. S/he directly oversees all aspects of FM certification pre-assessment, assessments and audits including scheduling, project management, customer service, auditor management and quality control for assigned portfolio. S/he also is responsible for participating in audits as a lead auditor.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Manager, manage the execution of FM & CoC auditing engagements throughout the region, including budgeting, service contracts, audit team identification, logistical planning, support to auditors, report review, coordinating peer reviews, and finalizing and approving reports;
- Ensure efficiency, quality control and adherence to Rainforest Alliance technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under his/her responsibilities;
- Work closely with other Rainforest Alliance staff to ensure accuracy & consistency of standards interpretations;
- Following his/her certification decision, the Associate is responsible for presenting decisions on conformance to the client's staff. The Associate's conformance decision can sometimes imply significant expenses by clients to resolve the issues identified;
- Communicate with ENGOs, First Nations and other interested parties regarding assessment and audit status, explain Rainforest Alliance position on interpretations of the FSC standard and certification decisions;
- Act as senior auditor and team leader on selected pre-assessments, assessments and audits projects;
- Coordinate with other staff, provide customer service to current and potential Rainforest Alliance clients, including, but is not limited to, responding to inquiries relating to FM, providing information about certification, market linkages, guidance on certification process, marketing and other aspects related to auditing services;
- Coordinate with consultants on agreements, scope of work, and monitor and approve resulting deliverables;
- Provide strong expertise in FSC FM & CoC policies and protocols;
- Cooperate with and support other Rainforest Alliance staff in the execution and coordination of FM & CoC client recruitment, assessments and audits and other projects including developing and implementing annual audit schedules to ensure timely and efficient completion of audits;
- Provide monthly expense and progress reports to the Regional Manager;
- Coordinate with and support other staff with regards to financial and audit progress reports and planning;
- Promote and develop certification and verification services in the United States;
- Give presentations and attend meetings, as needed, to promote Rainforest Alliance and FSC certification;
- Support the development and launch of new products and services and assist in field testing;
- Contribute to developing client recruitment strategies for regional market segments and key forest landowners/managers and forest products companies.
- Provide input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Forest Ecology or related field required; Master’s Degree a plus;
- Minimum of 4 years of field experience in forestry, forest ecology or related areas;
- Written and verbal fluency in English required;
- Written and verbal fluency in French a plus;
- Environmental management system auditor training experience preferred;
- Knowledge of FSC certification and Rainforest Alliance a plus;
- Strong computer skills (word processing, databases, spreadsheets) and presentation skills;
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking skills and attention to detail;
- Initiative, self-motivation, resourcefulness, dependability;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 40% of the time. Field auditing may require exposure to difficult terrain and hot, dry or cold, inclement weather.
Commensurate with experience.
We believe that all employees, regardless of location or title, should have access to benefits. We strive to provide programs that provide the following:
- Health/medical coverage for staff and family;
- Retirement savings plans;
- Paid time off for holidays/vacations, illness, and personal needs;
- Assistance for adverse situations that might arise while on business travel; and
- Insurance for unfortunate circumstances.
Benefits vary, depending on location. Please talk to your recruiter during your interview about specific benefits for your location.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15470791. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.