The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Forest Management (FM) & Chain of Custody (CoC) Staff Auditor will conduct audits and assessments for Rainforest Alliance’s FM & CoC certification services, including audit scheduling, onsite visits, and report writing. S/he will manage the certification process for a subset of Rainforest Alliance FM & CoC clients and provide customer service, report reviews, and quality control. S/he will also service as the FSC Controlled Wood Point of Contact for the US Region providing technical support and training on FSC Controlled Wood issues.
Forest Certification Auditing
- Provide certification services, including onsite visits to field operations and facilities, as part of Rainforest Alliance FM & CoC audits;
- Conduct desk audits;
- Write audit/assessment reports based on audit findings;
- Communicate effectively with clients and Rainforest Alliance staff in preparation for and finalization of audit engagements;
- Develop strong expertise in the Rainforest Alliance, as well as FSC forest management, FSC chain of custody, FSC Controlled Wood and SmartLogging standards, policies, and protocols;
- Provide input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system; and
- Manage all travel arrangements to conduct the assigned fieldwork;
- Build strong working relationships with current and prospective Rainforest Alliance clients, and participate in strategic client recruitment activities;
- Manage the execution of audits for a portfolio of clients to include budgeting, negotiating & preparing service contracts, organizing and leading teams of experts, logistical planning, report writing and review, liaising with clients, and finalizing reports for approval;
- Develop and implement annual audit schedules and ensure timely, efficient, and cost-effective completion of annual audits;
- Ensure efficiency, quality control, and adherence to Rainforest Alliance’s technical and administrative certification protocols for all accounts directly under his/her responsibilities;
- Document audit processes utilizing an online customer relationship manager system, conduct data entry associated with managing accounts, and provide technical support for a full range of certification services;
- In coordination with other Rainforest Alliance staff, provide exemplary customer service to current and potential Rainforest Alliance clients to include, and not be limited to, providing information about certification, interpretation of certification standards, and logo use; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor or equivalent degree in forestry, natural resources, or related field;
- Minimum of 2 years work experience, preferably in the forest product industry, agricultural industry, or related field;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Previous auditing experience and/or ISO training preferred;
- Strong skills in MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, databases, and Internet;
- Background or interest in environmental conservation preferred;
- Knowledge of Rainforest Alliance certification services and/or FSC certification a plus;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented, and dependable with a strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
Commensurate with experience.
We believe that all employees, regardless of location or title, should have access to benefits. We strive to provide programs that provide the following:
- Health/medical coverage for staff and family
- Retirement savings plans;
- Paid time off for holidays/vacations, illness, and personal needs;
- Assistance for adverse situations that might arise while on business travel; and
- Insurance for unfortunate circumstances.
Benefits vary, depending on location. Please talk to your recruiter during your interview about specific benefits for your location.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15444941. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.