Recipe: Banana Bread with Walnuts and Flaxseed
Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use bananas stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
Makes 1 loaf – serves 8.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened, for pan
- 1/2 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed (from about 2 teaspoons whole)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe Rainforest Alliance Certified bananas* (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (about 1 3/4 ounces), toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan, and set aside. Whisk together the flours, flaxseed, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Put egg and egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix on medium-low speed until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and bananas, and mix until combined. Add the reserved flour mixture, and mix on low speed until well incorporated, about 10 seconds. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter into buttered pan. Bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. Invert bread to unmold; reinvert, and let cool completely on rack.
* Rainforest Alliance Certified bananas are available at major supermarkets across the United States, Canada and Europe. Just look for the green frog seal!
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/banana-bread-with-walnuts-and-flaxseed.