Recipe: Banana, Coconut and Cashew-Cream Tart
Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use bananas stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
Makes one 9-inch tart.
For Tart Shell
- 1 1/2 cups whole pecans
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
For Tart Filling
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and thoroughly drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, and more to taste
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 or 4 ripe but firm Rainforest Alliance Certified bananas*
- Make tart shell: Coarsely chop pecans and salt in a food processor. Add dates; pulse until thoroughly combined, 15 to 20 seconds. Add syrup; pulse just until combined and mixture sticks together. Press nut mixture firmly and evenly into a 9-inch pie plate, wetting your fingers as needed. Set tart shell aside.
- Make filling: Grind nuts to a coarse paste in a blender. Add water, syrup, and vanilla scrapings; blend until smooth, about 5 minutes, scraping sides as needed. Mixture should be the consistency of thick pancake batter. Set aside 2 tablespoons coconut; add remainder to blender, and process to combine. Pour into prepared shell, spreading evenly.
- Thinly slice bananas on the bias; arrange in slightly overlapping rows, beginning at edge of tart. Sprinkle with reserved coconut; serve immediately.
* Rainforest Alliance Certified bananas are available at major supermarkets across the United States, Canada and Europe. Just look for the green frog seal!
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/banana-coconut-and-cashew-cream-tart.