Recipe: Broiled Brown Sugar-Vanilla Bananas Atop Ricotta
Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use bananas stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ripe, firm Rainforest Alliance Certified bananas,* peeled
- Preheat broiler, with rack 6 inches from heat source. Mix ricotta and nutmeg in a small bowl. Mix sugars, salt, and vanilla in a small bowl. Cut bananas diagonally 1/4 inch thick, keeping slices in order as you cut. Discard tips.
- Spread 1/4 cup ricotta mixture in each of four 5-inch-wide by 1-inch-deep baking dishes. Fan 1 banana around edge of each dish, creating a circle. Gently press bananas into ricotta mixture. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush bananas with water, then sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons sugar mixture. Pat sugar into an even layer on top of bananas to prevent the sugar from clumping and burning.
- Broil until sugar has caramelized and bananas have softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
* Rainforest Alliance Certified bananas are available at major supermarkets across the United States, Canada and Europe. Just look for the green frog seal!
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/broiled-brown-sugar-vanilla-bananas-atop-ricotta.