Recipe: Double Dark-Chocolate and Ginger Biscotti
Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use cocoa powder and chocolate stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/3 cup Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 ounces dark Rainforest Alliance Certified chocolate*, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt until well combined; set aside. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg, egg yolk, and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in the vanilla and oil until well combined.
- With the mixer on low, beat in dry ingredients until combined. Fold in walnuts, chocolate, and ginger with a rubber spatula (dough will be stiff).
- With moistened hands shape the dough into 2 logs, each about 9 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide. Bake until set on top, about 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board and, with a serrated knife, cut each log on the diagonal into 16 slices, each 1/2 inch thick. Bake until crisp, about 20 minutes, turning the biscotti over midway through. Cool 5 minutes on a baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
*Rainforest Alliance Certified chocolate is available at supermarkets and specialty shops around the world.
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/130783/double-dark-chocolate-and-ginger-biscotti.