Recipe: Homemade Chai
Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use black tea stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
- 2 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bags Rainforest Alliance Certified black tea*
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- Bring spices, ginger, and water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until liquid becomes aromatic, about 15 minutes. Whisk in sugar, then add tea bags; turn off heat and let steep 3 minutes.
- While tea is steeping, warm a serving pot by rinsing several times with very hot water. Strain tea mixture through a fine strainer or a coffee filter into pot. Heat milk over medium heat until just simmering. Whisk until frothy. Pour into serving pot, stirring well to combine.
* Rainforest Alliance Certified tea is available at supermarkets and specialty shops around the world.
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/homemade-chai.