Recipe: Homemade Chai
Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use black tea stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
- 2 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bags Rainforest Alliance Certified black tea
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- Bring spices, ginger, and water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until liquid becomes aromatic, about 15 minutes. Whisk in sugar, then add tea bags; turn off heat and let steep 3 minutes.
- While tea is steeping, warm a serving pot by rinsing several times with very hot water. Strain tea mixture through a fine strainer or a coffee filter into pot. Heat milk over medium heat until just simmering. Whisk until frothy. Pour into serving pot, stirring well to combine.
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/homemade-chai.