Recipe: Poached Pears with Dark Chocolate
Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use chocolate stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cups water
- 2 ripe Bartlett pears
- 1 ounce dark Rainforest Alliance Certified chocolate*, melted
- Bring ginger, honey, and water to a boil over high heat in a medium pot. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel pears and halve lengthwise. Use a melon baller to scoop out cores. Gently lower pears into pot. Cover surface with a round of parchment paper.
- Cook pears until a paring knife slides easily into them, about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on ripeness. Remove with a wooden spoon and transfer to a bowl. Pour poaching liquid over. Serve warm or chilled.
- To serve, place pear halves in a bowl and drizzle with melted chocolate.
* Rainforest Alliance Certified chocolate is available at supermarkets and specialty shops around the world.
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/poached-pear-with-dark-chocolate.