The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
The Development Associate, Asia will be responsible for writing and editing concept documents, proposals, and reports, maintaining effective communication with the Rainforest Alliance staff based in other geographies, and contributing to overall fundraising strategy – all with support from the Senior Manager, Institutional Development, Europe. S/he will also play a role in proactively identifying new funding sources and securing key donor meetings in Indonesia and other Asia-Pacific countries. The focus of this position will be institutional donors, mainly bilateral and multilateral funders with a presence in Asia, and secondarily corporations and foundations. The Development Associate, Asia will work closely with Institutional Relations colleagues in the United States and Europe, as well as Program staff throughout Asia, to compose strong written products for external use.
- Work closely with colleagues globally to coordinate, write, adapt, and edit proposals and concept notes for field projects primarily in Indonesia, as well as other Asian programs;
- Proactively identify new funding resources consistent with the organization’s revenue goals for restricted funding and strategic priorities, working closely with the Senior Manager, Institutional Development, Europe to do so;
- Coordinate closely with Institutional Relations staff based in the United States and Europe, as well as program staff throughout Asian countries, to ensure effective alignment of fundraising strategies with technical country strategies and successful execution of donor cultivation strategies;
- Conduct research to identify new revenue streams;
- Work closely with regional managers, especially in Indonesia but also in the rest of Asia, to coordinate on the identification of private sector opportunities and follow through on the elaboration of proposals;
- With support from the Senior Manager, Institutional Development, Europe, act as a local point of contact between the Rainforest Alliance and key institutional donors in Asia, setting up initial meetings with relevant teams; participating in in-person meetings and phone calls, to take notes, gain understanding of donor position and requirements, and follow-up on tasks with internal and external stakeholders;
- Build awareness by representing the Rainforest Alliance at relevant conferences and events, in coordination with the Senior Manager, Institutional Development, Europe;
- Maintain accurate donor information in donor database; and
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Minimum 4 years of professional fundraising work experience;
- Experience with government fundraising required;
- Experience with foundation and corporate development is a plus;
- Must have excellent English business writing skills and be able to create content for different audiences;
- Fluency in Indonesian is strongly preferred; and working knowledge in other regional languages (Thai, Vietnamese, etc.) is a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Able to work well under tight deadlines and with colleagues in different time zones;
- Strong research and computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as be an effective team member;
- Experience working with budgets and financial reports;
- Ability to work regularly and collaboratively with colleagues who are based in a different geography;
- Experience with Salesforce or similar database preferred;
- General knowledge of prevailing agriculture, conservation, and development themes in the region desired; and
- Willingness and availability to travel within Asia up to 15% of time.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in Indonesia will be considered.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary history in one single document to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, E-mail: email@example.com. Use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.