The Rainforest Alliance is implementing a four-year project (July 2017‐June 2021) called Empowering Rural Communities and Households with Renewable Energy, that seeks to catalyze a switch to efficient renewable energy in selected tea farming communities in central Kenya by scaling up the use of biomass briquettes and solar technology. The project’s overall objective is to improve the livelihoods, health, and self‐reliance of rural communities, especially for women, young adults, and children, and simultaneously lower deforestation rates and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in Kenya's tea producing landscapes.
The project is funded by the IKEA Foundation and is coordinated and managed by the Rainforest Alliance, in partnership with Living Earth / Enso Impact and Kenya Tea Development Agency (KTDA). Living Earth / Enso Impact provides a coordinating link between the project and the Central Production Facility (CPF) (including its investors) and delivers technical assistance, business and leadership skills training to the Household Energy Centers, alongside the Rainforest Alliance team. KTDA aims to catalyze the partial switch from use of wood fuel in tea factories to use of briquettes as a thermal energy option for steam generation.
KTDA will select 12 factories from their 12 tea production zones to participate in this project and be learning centres for efficient energy and briquette use in the tea industry. The Rainforest Alliance seeks to engage a consultant to carry out briquette use trainings targeting both factory managers and boiler operators in order to enhance their skills and therefore accelerate the switch to use of briquettes in tea processing.
If you are with a consultant firm, a dedicated staff person with the following qualifications is required. If the consultant is an individual, the following demonstrated skills and knowledge are required:
- Relevant studies in a related discipline- mechanical, electrical, agricultural or chemical engineering
- Over 10 years of biomass sector experience, and energy audit
- Good understanding of the tea processing
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook with a demonstrated and working knowledge of PowerPoint;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills;
- Written and verbal proficiency in English required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals;
- Detail-oriented, dependability, strong attention to detail;
- Ability to travel to and stay in the field for data collection.
- Only candidates authorized to work in Kenya will be considered
Selection of the consultant is based on the following criteria:
- Relevant Studies/Education: 40%
- Relevant Technical expertise: 40%
- Financial proposal: 20%
Proposal Process and Format
Please send the following documentation to Kiprono Shadrack, Programme Manager for Renewable Energy, Rainforest Alliance, email: email@example.com. no later than 15th May 2019. Use the following format in the subject line: “Factory Biomass Energy Audit”
Proposals should include:
- List of previous engagements that addresses the above experience desired
- Daily rate (in USD); include basis for costing e.g. previous rates
- Current C.V.(S)
- Contact details (email and phone number) of 2 recent references