The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
The Communications Associate will serve as an integral member of the Rainforest Alliance’s team for the Accountability Framework initiative (AFi), a collaborative effort to accelerate progress and improve accountability for company supply chain commitments to halt deforestation and ecosystem conversion while respecting land rights and other human rights in the agriculture and forestry sectors. Specifically, the Communications Associate will support the development and implementation of an effective communications program to raise awareness, support, and uptake of the Accountability Framework by companies, NGOs, and other key stakeholders.
- Conduct research and draft content for AFi communications products, including newsletters, blogs, brochures, and user-friendly presentations of the Accountability Framework for specific audiences;
- Co-manage the AFi website, including content management, site updates, and ongoing maintenance;
- Implement the AFi social media plan, including development of a messaging toolkit and collaboration with AFi partner organizations to align and amplify key messages;
- Collaborate with designers on the design and layout of communications products;
- Manage foreign language translation of AFi content and help disseminate translated materials on the website and through other suitable channels;
- Support other AFi communications needs related to events, webinars, and workshops, including producing presentations and other relevant communications products as needed; and
- Other duties, as assigned, to help support the AFi team overall.
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in a relevant field;
- At least three years of experience in communications or marketing, ideally working for an NGO or focused on themes related to the environment, social justice, or other public-interest topics;
- Superior writing, editing, and communication skills, with an ability to convey complex and technical subjects clearly and concisely;
- Portfolio of previous written work, showing both creative and technical writing;
- Strong research skills, with an ability to identify, distill, and convey essential findings;
- Excellent organization, attention to detail, and thoroughness;
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team, and to deliver high-quality products under strict deadlines;
- Social media fluency and experience planning and implementing social media campaigns is a plus;
- Experience with website content management systems (particularly WordPress) is a plus;
- Experience with international conservation and/or development projects is a plus; and
- Experience with design and communications to support complex, multi-stakeholder initiatives is a plus.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in the US will be considered for the position.
Please apply online here. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.