With headquarters in New York City and offices worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works at the crossroads of business, agriculture, forests and communities—connecting unlikely allies to make responsible business the new normal. We amplify the voices of farmers and rural communities, help forests and biodiversity thrive, and respond to climate change in new and imaginative ways. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
As part of the Mexico Alliance for Sustainable Landscapes and Markets, the Communications Senior Associate will be responsible for developing and executing the communications strategy for this initiative, in close collaboration with both the regional team and the international communications team. She/he will be also responsible for developing assets that support communication with USAID officials, national and subnational government officials, farmers, foresters, tourism entrepreneurs, and other key stakeholders in the regions of implementation.
- Work with regional team and international communications team to develop and implement a communications strategy for the Mexico Alliance for Sustainable Landscapes and Markets initiative;
- Create visual branding for project. Hire and manage a consulting graphic designer to develop project logo, fonts and colors to be used on promotional materials and tools.
- Oversee the development of a project website. Hire and manage a consulting website developer/designer, create information architecture, and develop content strategy;
- Undertake regular field visits and create compelling storytelling assets for the project website that can also be used for the global RA website and social media channels, partner institutions, and partner companies;
- Secure proactive media placements for stories about the initiative, including pitching journalists, effective follow-up, and efficient fielding of media inquiries;
- Plan and manage press trips to field projects so that the initiative accomplishments are accurately and favorably spotlighted;
- Set up and manage social media accounts to promote the project to key stakeholders; post content multiple times per week and monitor social media metrics to gauge success;
- Enforce Rainforest Alliance organizational branding and communication protocols as well as donor requirements for all other communication products;
- Plan and execute stakeholder communications for government institutions, farmers, NGOs, etc.;
- Ensure that communications assets across the website and social media channels are attractive, accurate and well written;
- Represent the Mexico Alliance for Sustainable Landscapes and Markets initiative as needed in meetings with collaborating businesses, organizations and other stakeholders when meetings relate to the communications and marketing strategies; and
- Participate and develop project proposals related with communications;
- Coordinate translations of site content and products;
- Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications (preferred), Public Relations, or related field
- A minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in journalism or public information and media outreach, including at least 3 years directly working with journalists;
- Must have excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and Internet) and comfort working with database programs
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills in Spanish;
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English (preferred);
- Experience in social media;
- Ability to work within a team structure, as well as independently; creative, pro-active, attentive to detail;
- Strong interest and some experience in biodiversity conservation issues; experience in agriculture, ecotourism, forestry, climate change and sustainable rural development
- Ability to travel a minimum of 20% of the time, nationally and internationally.
- Excellent skills for photo and video shooting;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ease in working within a culturally and linguistically diverse context;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in Mexico will be considered.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance; E-mail: email@example.com. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.