The China Country Representative provides strategic and technical leadership and manages the strategic planning and implementation of all activities in China. He/she harnesses institutional strategy to meet country needs and leads integrated program design and implementation to high quality standards. The Country Representative leads the development of our China strategy, ensures overall management, safeguards the quality of implementation of our agriculture certification programs in the country and builds partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders, especially producers, civil society organizations, corporations and the government. He/she will be responsible for representing the Rainforest Alliance and advancing efforts to work with producers, companies and individuals. S/he will guide and lead a high-performing team, creating a culture that is aligned with Rainforest Alliance’s values and maintaining deep collaboration bonds with colleagues in other countries and functional areas such as Markets; Communications; Standards & Assurance; Global Internal Compliance; HR; and Finance & Accounting. S/he will act as Country Representative for China and serve as legal representative of the organization.
Leadership and Management
- Lead the development and implementation of the China country strategy, in line with Rainforest Alliance strategies and priorities, and ensuring consultation and alignment with other departments in the organization;
- Deliver effective and impactful implementation of Rainforest Alliance activities, projects and programs, fostering a culture of business and project management excellence;
- Provide day-to-day oversight of activities, program and project management and enable structures for cross-functional and cross-project collaboration;
- Delegate authority to staff, ensure they are effective and supported, and ensure planned objectives are achieved and in line with budgets and policies;
- Ensure timely completion of program progress reports and annual planning; oversee planning and budgeting, reporting and contractual compliance by country programs per Rainforest Alliance and other applicable requirements;
- Guide, motivate, and develop staff; including establishing a clear link for employees to see their work relating to Rainforest Alliance’s mission and strategic priorities, and lead by example in the organization’s matrix management;
- Identify and manage financial, legal, and technical risks and escalate issues appropriately; and
- Collaborate with Rainforest Alliance leadership to effectively manage crises and conflicts;
Markets, Business Development and External Engagement
- Develop and maintain functional partnerships with Rainforest Alliance clients, partners, NGOs, governments and other stakeholders; build the reputation of the Rainforest Alliance in China as a credible non-governmental organization; work with partners to advocate for sustainable land management which further the reputation and work of the Rainforest Alliance;
- Engage key businesses, donors, agencies and partners in order to stimulate demand for Rainforest Alliance compelling offers;
- Actively promote the use and consumption of Rainforest Alliance Certified products in the country, in collaboration with the Emerging Markets Lead;
- Represent Rainforest Alliance at key events, presentations, policy forums and round tables and communicate program achievements;
- Direct the strategic development of communications and/or marketing materials promoting Rainforest Alliance’s service offerings and impacts in China, in collaboration with the Communications-Marketing department.
- Develop strategies for long-term financial stability of the country program;
General - Administrative
- Designated bank account signatory for China accounts; ensuring compliance with policies & procedures and internal controls; and
- Power of Attorney for legal entity; delegated authority for executing legal documents, including taxation, subject to review and approval, and
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will oversee a small team of staff and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees and consultants; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in China will be considered
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history in English to Rainforest Alliance by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than December 8, 2019. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: First name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.