The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
The India Country Representative provides leadership and manages the strategic planning, fundraising and implementation of all activities in India and Sri Lanka, which include sustainable agriculture programs in multiple commodities and themes, and potentially work in sustainable forestry. S/he harnesses institutional strategy to meet country needs, and leads integrated program design and implementation to high quality standards. The Representative provides strategic and technical leadership, ensures overall management and fundraising (foundations, bi-lateral and multi-lateral, corporations), safeguards the quality of implementation of our agriculture certification programs in the country and builds partnerships with national and state government institutions and a wide range of other stakeholders, especially producers, civil society organizations, donors, and corporations. S/he will be responsible for representing the Rainforest Alliance and advancing efforts to work with producers, companies and individuals.
The Rainforest Alliance has been present in India since 2008. Through its certification program, it has brought 18% of India’s tea production into alignment with the Sustainable Agriculture Standard as well as certifying farms producing coffee, fruits and spices. The Rainforest Alliance has also led projects with international donors to promote sustainable agricultural practices in India as a key component of avoiding land degradation and conserving biodiversity.
UTZ has been active in India since 2013 and is established as an India Private Limited. UTZ has been engaged in sector supply chain certification in coffee and tea and has developed deep involvement in thematic issues in these sectors. The market engagement work has been on international and domestic level.
Leadership and Management
- Steer the integration of country activities of both pre-merger UTZ and pre-merger RA;
- Deliver effective and impactful implementation of Rainforest Alliance projects and programs, fostering a culture of business and project management excellence, by providing day-to-day oversight of programs and project management and enable structures for cross-functional and cross-project collaboration and communication;
- Align programmatic work in India and Sri Lanka to the Rainforest Alliance 2019-2021 Strategic Plan.
- Support the continued strategy setting and implementation of Rainforest Alliance´s focused action plan and intensified approach for its work in Assam.
- Ensure timely completion of progress reports and annual planning; oversee planning and budgeting, reporting and contractual compliance by country programs per funder and Rainforest Alliance requirements;
- Guide, motivate, and develop the local team;
- Ensure effective communications with the broader organization;
- Identify and manage financial, legal, and technical risks and escalate issues appropriately; and
- Collaborate with Rainforest Alliance leadership to effectively manage crises and conflicts;
Advocacy and External Engagement
- Develop and maintain functional partnerships with Rainforest Alliance clients, partners, platforms, NGOs, (local) government(s), certification bodies and other stakeholders; work with partners to advocate for sustainable landscape management which further the reputation and work of the Rainforest Alliance and its partners;
- Build relationships with the key government Ministries and local authorities
- Contribute to the national sustainability agendas of the tea, coffee, palm, spices and forest product sectors through direct engagement of sector stakeholders and by guiding staff;
- Actively promote the use and consumption of Rainforest Alliance Certified™ and UTZ certified products in the country, in collaboration with the Markets department;
- Represent Rainforest Alliance at key events, presentations, policy forums and round tables and communicate program achievements; and
- Direct the strategic development of communications and/or marketing materials promoting Rainforest Alliance’s service offerings and impacts in India, in collaboration with the Communications-Marketing department.
Fundraising and Business Development
- In close collaboration with the Rainforest Alliance fundraising department and regional team, support developing and securing long-term funding for landscapes and communities’ work in India;
- Cultivate long-term relationships with the senior leads and decision makers among the government, as well as with multi-lateral, bilateral and other target donors in the country
- Contribute to writing and budgeting of fundraising proposals;
- Engage key businesses to stimulate demand for Rainforest Alliance products and develop potential for public-private partnerships;
General - Administrative
- Co-oversee the management of country office resources, including human resources; and
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will oversee a small team of staff. This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resource or business-related field, Master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum 10 years of international field experience in rural economic development, small business development, and/or natural resources management, to include significant managerial and grant management experience;
- Proven technical skills in agriculture and/or natural resources management;
- Experience in extension methodologies and community organization development;
- Proven experience in developing partnerships and/or stakeholder management within private sector and NGOs;
- Proven experience and capable of interacting confidently and effectively with high-level government officials (at least at the Director-General level);
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills; experience in writing funding proposals, desired;
- Written and verbal proficiency in English required;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals;
- Initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, detail-oriented, dependable, strong attention to detail;
- Knowledge of, and commitment to seeking solutions to environmental and social issues and implementing sustainability practices, experience in a not-for-profit and international environment preferred; and
- Ability to travel up to 25% per year, nationally and sometimes internationally.
Commensurate with experience.
Only applicants authorized to work in India will be considered.
Please send your application (max. 1 page motivation, max 2 page resume) no later than 9 November 2018 to email@example.com mentioning ‘Country Representative India’ in the subject line.