This role is the Latin America technical lead for driving the integration of RA’s sector-wide initiatives and landscape-based interventions. To advance RA’s global, regional and country strategies, s/he will lead the development of plans and tools that align sector-wide and supply chain commitments and investments with RA’s landscape interventions and support regional staff in their implementation. To achieve this, s/he will coordinate closely with regional subject matter leads, country leads and global counterparts in the Markets; Programs; Sustainable Supply Chains; and Innovations & Technology portfolios to infuse these interventions with global best practices and tools. S/he will provide periodic management support of selected key initiatives to field teams. S/he will grow the scope and scale of RA’s impacts by leading the design of selected strategic externally-funded initiatives and deepening corporate partnerships.
Strategic and Technical Innovation & Excellence (40%):
- Serve as the regional technical lead for integrating RA’s sector and landscape interventions in Latin America. This work will be carried out in close coordination with regional staff and global counterparts in the Markets; Global Programs & Themes; Sustainable Supply Chains; and Innovation with a focus on:
- Analyzing RA’s S&A, Customer Excellence, and Market Transformation and field data to better target RA’s interventions in the coffee, forestry and fruit sectors and in prioritized production landscapes
- Harnessing data-driven insights and findings to contextualize and prioritize geographic and thematic risks and opportunities as the basis to scale-up RA’s impacts in Latin America
- Identifying the most critical gaps in RA’s certification and landscape programming and creating the roadmaps and tools to resolve these; and
- Planning and execution to embed these new tools and approaches in RA’s strategic plans, major external funding proposals and engagements with key market players on field support and capacity development partnerships; and
- Provide thought leadership in the region and globally by, i.e. staying abreast of internal and external trends, promoting horizontal and vertical information flow, and providing technical support to staff when requested.
Leadership and Management (25%):
- Build a high-performing, results-oriented and mission-driven team that reflects the Rainforest Alliance’s vision and culture, creating a positive work environment for personnel;
- Guide, motivate and develop personnel, seeking opportunities for professional advancement and ensuring they understand how their work relates to RA’s global mission strategy;
- Delegate authority to staff, ensuring that they are supported and connected to the broader organization and its strategic initiatives, and ensure planned objectives are met in line with organizational policy and budgets;
- Deliver effective and impactful implementation of RA’s mission by overseeing selected regional initiatives and RA’s technical work in countries where RA does not have a local presence, ensuring that RA attains its technical, financial and contractual commitments for this work;
- Provide oversight and quality control to selected organizational, government and donor annual workplans, budgets, reports and audits;
- Directly provide and/or coordinate with direct reports and staff in other departments to deliver ‘surge capacity’ to field teams to help them with the start-up or close-out of strategic initiatives, as well as help them more effectively address and resolve critical issues and risks, with a particular focus on technical and stakeholder management challenges;
- Working hand-in-hand with the Latin America Director, coordinate the execution of regional strategy and annual workplan, advise country teams on creation of country strategies, and manage periodic internal reporting; and
- Support the organization to address critical risks and crises, as needed.
Fundraising and business development (25%):
- Secure long-term financing for regional programming, through leading the design of a subset of high-priority, high-impact regional proposals to companies and donors;
- Serve as lead writer on selected proposals and donor reports;
- Contribute strategic advisory and technical reviews to writing and budgeting of fundraising proposals; and
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Advocacy and External Engagement (10%):
- Represent RA in selected regional and global multi-stakeholder fora and amongst selected senior regional contacts;
- Engage with corporate partners to align sourcing commitments and investments with RA’s priority origins;
- Author periodic op-eds, articles, publications or other thought pieces to enhance RA’s reputation, credibility and positioning; and
- Actively promote the use and consumption of Rainforest Alliance Certified, UTZ certified products as well as those of partner organizations (FSC, etc), and other RA tools such as AFi and LandScale, in collaboration with the Markets department.
Commensurate with experience.
Send resume, cover letter and salary expectation to Human Resources before 15th January 2020, Rainforest Alliance, 8 Avenida 15-62, zona 10, Ciudad Guatemala, Guatemala 01010. Fax: (502) 2300-6800; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.