The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
The Markets Specialist III will be responsible for the Rainforest Alliance’s market development activities in Mexico, leading market-development work under the Rainforest Alliance-led Mexico Alliance for Sustainable Landscapes and Markets, and related grants and initiatives. S/he will connect partner producer communities to preferential markets, grow demand for sustainably produced/certified products, develop and manage account plans for strategic companies and certified products, and position solutions delivered under the Mexico Alliance for Sustainable Landscapes and Markets as preferred sustainability solutions for target companies within Mexico and internationally. S/he will lead the development of an annual workplan for market outreach and provide periodic progress reports for Rainforest Alliance internal uses and our donor partners. In addition to being a core member of the Rainforest Alliance Mexico team, s/he will form part of the Rainforest Alliance’s global Markets Transformation team and coordinate closely with colleagues in the Markets Transformation unit.
This position will oversee growing demand for Rainforest Alliance services and products at a country-level, identify opportunities and develop initiatives that allow us to position the Rainforest Alliance as the preferred sustainability partner for target companies in countries where we are active, and create and implement market plans (marketing plans/business development plans) to achieve country goals.
Market & business development
- Lead the development of a marketing and business development strategies and plans, and contribute to the development of the overall Rainforest Alliance Mexico strategy;
- Develop and execute key account management plans for selected strategic accounts;
- Contribute to and prepare progress reports per funder and Rainforest Alliance requirements;
- Ensure effective cross-functional coordination within other Rainforest Alliance departments in Mexico, the Latin America region, and globally (i.e. Markets, Global Programs, Standards & Assurance, Regions, Finance, Accounting, Legal, etc.) to maximize the impact and success of planned activities;
- Support participating producer communities to attain certification and penetrate new markets through providing intelligence and guidance to these groups on relevant topics (i.e. market trends) and by providing information on these communities to the global markets team;
- Support the preparation of market-related fundraising proposals and the negotiation and development of service agreements with companies supporting the work of the Rainforest Alliance;
- Facilitate supply chain linkages for certified commodities, in Mexico and other countries, and facilitate the successful launch of campaigns by companies in coordination with the global Markets Transformation and Communications teams;
- Advise and support the development and establishment of sustainable supply policies to companies and medium and small businesses;
- Be involved in the work with the Markets Transformation team to develop tools, resources, and campaigns to target Mexican businesses;
- Organize and carry out the Rainforest Alliance's engagement in strategic industry events in Mexico, coordinate to provide visibility of Mexico producer groups in relevant international industry events, and deepen engagement with strategic domestic and international corporate partners;
- Actively promote the use and consumption of Rainforest Alliance Certified™ and UTZ certified products in the country, in collaboration with the Markets department;
- Represent the Rainforest Alliance at key events, presentations, policy forums, and roundtables and communicate program achievements; and
- Support the project's reporting and monitoring activities.
This position may oversee consultants and ensure coordination with the Rainforest Alliance global markets team.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, commerce, international affairs, or other related fields;
- 5 years of experience in developing market initiatives in partnership with private sector and local producers;
- 3 years of experience in developing and positioning sustainable supply chains, nationally and internationally;
- Experience working with cocoa, coffee, or forestry sectors and small and medium enterprises;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 35% of the time nationally and internationally;
- Ability to work within a team structure and independently; creative; takes initiative; and attentive to details;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner;
- Fluent in English and Spanish; and
- Written and verbal proficiency in English.
The position is based in Mexico and is open to applicants of all nationalities. However, we can only consider candidates who have, will get, or are eligible for a Mexican work and residency permit
Commensurate with experience.
According with Mexican legislation.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, E-mail: email@example.com. Use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.