The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization working to build a future in which nature is protected and biodiversity flourishes, where farmers, workers, and communities prosper, and where sustainable land use and responsible business practices are the norm. We envision a world where people and nature thrive in harmony. In January 2018, the Rainforest Alliance merged with UTZ, a global program and label for sustainable farming.
The Associate, Oil Palm and Rubber will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of a training programs for donor-supported farmer sustainability projects and will support the Senior Manager, Palm Oil, in implementing all other palm oil and other related commodities field-related field programs in West Kalimantan, Indonesia. S/he will help in implementing series of field activities in Ketungau Hulu subdistrict, Sintang District, West Kalimantan. S/he will support the village-based spatial planning, strategic environmental analysis. The Associate will also help communities to develop their communication skills to have dialogue with other stakeholders. S/he will also contribute to plan training related to good agricultural practices and sustainability, develop training materials, deliver grower training activities, monitor of field implementation, coordinate field work with others in the farm programs team, and support farmer access to preferred markets development from the commodity source. The Associate will take care of adequate communication and information exchange on field activities with all stakeholders at field level.
- Support the spatial planning activities by executing field activities and providing survey data on village profile;
- Assist the Senior Associate, Palm Oil, and planning consultants in activities related on development of landscape level Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA);
- Facilitate spatial planning workshops and the discussion in order to develop village development plans and communicate the results to the district government to harmonize village and district-level spatial regulation;
- In collaboration with Serikat Petani Kelapa Sawit (SPKS), support a training workshop on the principles and mechanisms for Free and Prior Informed Consent (FPIC) to local stakeholders;
- Facilitate focus group discussions to understand the issues with the development of plasma to help local communities negotiate fair outcomes with companies;
- Map out training participate, develop training module and conduct training for farmer field school to improve the capacity of local farmers;
- Develop module and program of sustainable capacity building locally;
- Facilitate coordination with local government and concession, include on Memorandum of Understanding about HCV/HCS as well as LTKL's KPI measurement.
- Manage training in sustainable agriculture methods related to a sustainability standard (combined training on NPDE, RSPO, FSC and SAS) for palm oil plantation;
- Assist in the planning of the daily-, weekly, and monthly- implementation activities for the project;
- Coordinate contacts between farmers and the Rainforest Alliance, with traders, downstream markets, government stakeholders, and other parties.
- Assist and participate in visits from the Rainforest Alliance and parties from other regions;
- Create brief consolidated reports on farmer training, with attendance list and details on project meetings with local stakeholders (every month/end of one training module or cycle);
- Submit progress and monitoring reports in accordance with the project requirements; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in agronomy, forestry, or other related fields;
- Minimum 7 years’ of professional work experience with organization and farmer in Indonesia farming sector and project management;
- Reasonable understanding of computer programs for reporting purposes (MS Office and Internet) and use of GIS tools;
- Familiar with supply chains, farming and agriculture production, and processing activities, Oil palm issues, training, value chains, auditing, and group events especially related with small scale farmer producer;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in Indonesia and English;
- Ability to work independently and guide a trainer’s team towards defined objectives and goals; and
- Willingness and ability to spend significant periods in rural areas, in areas with some relative hardships in living conditions.
- Self-starting: able to control the progress of activities within one’s responsibility;
- Networking: able to develop and maintain relations with the stakeholder to obtain information, support, and cooperation;
- Planning and organizing: able to determine goals and priorities and to assess the actions, time, and resources needed to achieve those goals;
- Coaching: able to encourage and guide farmers and consultants to make their performance more effective and to enhance their self-perception and problem-solving skills;
- Energy: able to be travel far or do active for a long period of time when required to do the data collection on field for several days;
- Persuasiveness: able to approach farmer to get the cooperate to support the data collection activity; and
- Verbal expression: able to adjust appropriate language to communicate with different level of respondent.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in Indonesia will be considered, preferable local people of West Kalimantan.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary history in one file document to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, E-mail: email@example.com. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.