The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. With headquarters in New York City, and offices worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Senior Associate for Asia will contribute to Rainforest Alliance’s work to implement results-based management strategies for the organization’s major coffee supply chain corporate partners. As a member of the Evaluation and Research (E&R) program, the Senior Associate will deliver training and oversight to monitoring & evaluation partners across six countries in Asia, provide guidance on sampling, conduct data quality control and basic performance evaluations, and help to bring performance results into supply chain adaptive management, reporting and data visualization. The Senior Associate will work closely with E&R’s Manager of Assessments and Analytics, the Landscapes & Livelihoods Coffee Manager, and the E&R Associate for Latin America & West Africa.
- Support the E&R team in designing and updating (on an annual basis) monitoring and evaluation (M&E) protocols and supporting guidance, including the timely integration of M&E tools into data collection software;
- Support RA’s coffee supply chain corporate partners to identify and select M&E partners in Asia with sufficient technical capacity to conduct third-party data collections;
- Lead in drafting new (and translating as needed) M&E training materials, and facilitating trainings to coffee supply chain corporate partner country teams, M&E partners, and other relevant organizations in Asia;
- Provide oversight and management to M&E partners conducting field monitoring and evaluation (M&E) activities, including (but not limited to) drafting sub-grants, coordinating payments (for sub-grantees, translators, etc.) organizing training and adaptive management workshops, and contracting data collectors;
- Coordinate final preparations for data collection activities in Asia;
- Provide review and guidance on the list of sample farms selected and farm visit plans to ensure compliance with RA/corporate partner sampling standards and guidelines;
- Ensure selected M&E partners in Asia are sufficiently trained and knowledgeable on standardized assessment protocols, sampling standards and guidelines, and data cleaning and quality control procedures;
- Lead data verification and quality checks (desk exercises) during data collection periods to identify common data integrity, quality and completeness issues.
- Summarize and report findings and data quality recommendations to both M&E partners and corporate partner management teams;
- Lead in analysis (in Excel and Stata) and data visualization (Tableau) to evaluate the effectiveness of strategies and activities in achieving outcomes, as defined in the corporate partner’s respective theories of change;
- Lead learning and dissemination of performance results for RA’s coffee supply chain corporate partners and their key stakeholders. Facilitate regional adaptive management workshops to reflect upon what the results from data collection activities tell us about sustainability risk and performance;
- Work with the corporate partner’s country teams to develop corrective action plans for addressing identified risks and performance gaps;
- Coordinate with the Landscapes and Livelihoods Coffee Manager and the E&R Manager for Assessments & Analytics to consolidate and compile information of donor reporting, as required;
- Represent Rainforest Alliance to external stakeholders, both nationally and internationally, as needed;
- Manages third party data collection teams and M&E partners / consultants; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Adaptability: able to remain fully functional by adapting to changing M&E targets, data collection timelines, and partner requirements;
- Attention to detail: able to conduct quality control/assurance and process detailed M&E datasets, effectively and consistently;
- Innovation: is well informed about advances in M&E and can use the information to further the development of tools, guidance materials, and systems;
- Leader: able to motivate and guide M&E partners, enumerators, and data cleaners to make their performance more effective and to enhance their self-perception and problem-solving skills;
- Relationship management: able to build and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders (including companies, M&E partners and universities);
- Bachelor’s degree required (advanced degree preferred);
- At least five years of progressively responsible project coordination experience, including at least conducting monitoring and evaluation and managing data collection teams, preferably related to agriculture or rural development;
- At least three years of demonstrated M&E field experience; skilled in collecting, manipulating, synthesizing and analyzing data;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Bahasa (Thai, Mandarin, etc. a plus);
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.);
- Strong leadership skills and comfortable facilitating M&E training events (and backstopping data collection teams) in often challenging international settings;
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, etc.;
- Strong critical thinking, excellent organizational skills, and attention to detail;
- Intermediate knowledge of statistics and principles, practices and methodologies of project monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience with statistical packages (Stata, R, etc.) and data visualization software (Power Bi, Tableau, etc.) a plus;
- Able to work independently and as part of an international team, multi-task, and work under tight deadlines;
- Creative, strong initiative, and excellent interpersonal communication skills; and
- Ability to travel internationally approximately 30% of the time.
Commensurate with experience.
We believe that all employees, regardless of location or title, should have access to benefits. We strive to provide programs that provide the following:
- Health/medical coverage for staff and family;
- Retirement savings plans;
- Paid time off for holidays/vacations, illness, and personal needs;
- Assistance for adverse situations that might arise while on business travel; and
- Insurance for unfortunate circumstances.
Benefits vary, depending on location. Please talk to your recruiter during your interview about specific benefits for your location.
Only candidates authorized to work in Indonesia will be considered.
We are appreciating paperless application. Please send your resume, cover letter and salary history to e-mail: email@example.com by use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.