Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from Cooking Jewish. Be sure to use bananas stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval—your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 ¾ cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 7 oz. of Rainforest Alliance Certified semisweet chocolate (chopped into small pieces)
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large, ripe Rainforest Alliance Certified* bananas
- Oil (for frying crepes)
- Combine eggs, flour, salt, milk and melted butter in a blender or food processor. Pulse only until just blended. Chill for one hour (or up to one day).
- Heat 6-inch frying pan over medium to high heat. Brush lightly with oil. Pour in two tablespoons of crepe batter, and tilt pan immediately to coat entire surface evenly. When the crepe is uniformly translucent and the surface no longer looks wet (45 seconds to one minute), loosen the edges with a spatula and invert pan over a piece of wax paper.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding oil to the pan as necessary.
- Use crepes immediately, or stack between sheets of wax paper, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
- Mix chocolate, milk, sugar and vanilla in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. (You can also microwave on medium power for about two minutes.) Stir frequently, until smooth, adding milk as necessary. Use sauce immediately or set aside and let cool. (Sauce will keep for several days in the refrigerator.)
- Assemble blintzes: Slice bananas, ¼-inch thick. Place three slices in a row, horizontally, in the middle of a crepe. Spread one tablespoon of sauce over each crepe. Fold two sides of crepe, then top, over banana. Fold bottom up to overlap.
- Place on tray, and repeat with remaining crepes, bananas and sauce.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour (up to two days).
- To serve, heat large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add one tablespoon of oil when pan is hot, and swirl to coat pan. Cook as many blintzes as will fit in the pan, until lightly browned (about 30 seconds) on each side.