Enjoy this sweet and sustainable recipe from WholeLiving.com. Be sure to use cocoa powder and chocolate stamped with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal of approval -- your assurance that goods were grown in a way that protects the environment and supports farming communities across the globe.
For the Pudding
- 2 tablespoons Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 5 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other short-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup Frangelico
- 2 ounces Rainforest Alliance Certified chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek-style
For the Hazelnut Crunch
- 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lightly beaten egg white
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Make the pudding: Whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, until edges are translucent, 1 to 2 minutes. Add hot milk mixture; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add Frangelico and chocolate; stir until chocolate has melted. Pour into a bowl. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. Stir in 1/4 cup yogurt.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Make the hazelnut crunch: Toss together nuts, egg white, and sugar. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a nonstick baking mat. Bake, stirring often, until nuts are golden and dry, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack.
- Divide pudding among bowls. Top with hazelnut crunch and remaining yogurt.
This recipe was reprinted with permission from Wholeliving.com: http://www.wholeliving.com/130674/chocolate-hazelnut-rice-pudding.