What is a Cookie?
A cookie is a small data file stored in your computer, tablet, or smartphone (or any other devices with internet access) when you visit our website. A cookie usually contains the name of the website where the cookie comes from, the duration of the cookie (i.e., how long the cookie will remain on your device), and a value that usually consists of a randomly generated unique number. A cookie is not a program that can contain harmful malware or virus.
Cookies may be accompanied by the collection of your personal information. Learn more about how we handle your personal information.
How Long Are Cookies Stored?
The length of time a cookie is stored on your devices varies. “Session cookies” remain on your computer temporarily and expire once you close your browser (or once your session ends). “Persistent cookies” remain on your device until deleted by you or until automatically deleted in accordance with the expiration dates written into their code. The duration of the cookie is calculated according to your last visit to the website.
What Cookies Are Used?
The cookies used on our website fall into four categories:
- Strictly necessary—these cookies help make our website navigable by activating basic functions such as page navigation and access to secure website areas. They cannot be switched off in our systems as they are necessary for the website to function. These cookies do not collect any personally identifiable information.
- Functional—these cookies allow our website to remember your preference and choices you make to provide a more personalized online experience. They can also allow visitors to watch videos, play games, and use social tools such as blogs and forums. These cookies may collect personal information such as your email, username and password, language, region, IP address, and web activity.
- Performance—these cookies help us understand how visitors interact with our website by collecting and reporting information. These cookies collect information about web activity. All information collected by these cookies is aggregated and anonymous.
- Marketing—these cookies are used to track visitors across websites. They are used to display ads that are relevant and interesting to the visitor and social media platforms. These cookies collect personal information such as your email, username and password, language, region, IP address, and web activity.
Our website uses both “first-party” and “third-party” cookies. First-party cookies are set and collected by our website and are only used by our website when you visit it. Third-party cookies are set and collected on our website by third-party providers whose services we have added to our pages (e.g. cookies set by embedded YouTube videos or Facebook advertising). We do not control how third parties use these cookies, so you should check their website to see how they’re using them or block the cookies.
For more information about each of these cookies used on our website, visit our Cookie Settings:
How Can I Manage Or Delete Cookies?
You can change your choices regarding which cookies you accept by visiting the “Cookie Settings” function on our website and adjusting the sliders and clicking “Save Settings”. Please note, “strictly necessary” cookies are essential cookies that cannot be turned off using the slider. If you choose not to accept our cookies, then we will only store these “strictly necessary” cookies.
Alternatively, you can manage cookies through your device or browser. Most internet browsers automatically accept cookies unless you change your browser settings. If you wish to restrict, block or delete the cookies which are set by any websites, you can generally do this through your browser settings. The “Help” menu in the toolbar of most web browsers will tell you how to do this, including how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable cookies altogether.
If you block cookies completely, many websites may not work properly and some functionality on our website may not work at all.
The settings you change only apply to the device on which you change them. If you use different devices to view our website (for example, your computer, smartphone, tablet etc.), you must ensure that each browser on each device is adapted to your cookie preferences.
Please find below links describing how to restrict, block or delete cookies on some popular devices and browsers.
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Flash cookies
- Chrome, Android
You can find more information about cookies on the following websites:
- European Union information about cookies: https://ec.europa.eu/info/cookies_en
- Information about how to manage and/or delete cookies: https://www.aboutcookies.org/
Rainforest Alliance’s website is originally published in English and contains information translated into other languages by third party translators. Translations are provided as a service to our website visitors and are provided “as is”. Rainforest Alliance makes no warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations from English into any other language. Any discrepancies or differences arising from translations are not binding and have no legal effect. If any questions arise regarding the accuracy of any translated materials, please refer to the original English version.