The Rainforest Alliance places a high priority on protecting your privacy. Our intention is to provide you with the best information about environmental conservation as possible and to involve you in our mission.
Information We Collect and Receive
We collect and receive information about users in a few different ways:
Information you give us. You can give us information directly. For example:
- When you fill out a form, you may give us information such as your name, email address, physical address, and other demographic information;
- When you donate funds, you give us your billing information, which may include your credit card data; or
- When you otherwise contact us or provide us information directly.
Information we collect or receive when you use our Services. We also collect or receive information when you use our Services. We collect some of this information using cookies, web beacons, and other technologies. Depending on how you access and use our Services, we may receive:
- Log information. This is information that is automatically collected and stored when you use our Services or the websites and apps of our business partners and affiliates. It may include, for example:
- Information about your interactions with the websites, apps, and other services you use, the content you view, the search queries you submit, and information in cookies and similar technologies; and
- Information about how you access those websites, apps, and other services, your browser or operating system, your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, and the website you visited before visiting our Services.
- Device information. This is information we automatically collect and store about the device you use when you access our Services. Device information includes, for example, the type of device that you are using, and certain device identifiers which may be unique to your device.
Most web browsers accept cookies automatically, but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is sent. If you wish to disable cookies, please refer to your browser’s help section. Web beacons are 1x1 single-pixel graphics that may be embedded in web pages or emails. We may use web beacons on our websites to count and recognize users. Local Storage Objects (sometimes referred to as “Flash Cookies”) are similar to standard cookies except that they can be larger and are downloaded to a computer or mobile device by the Adobe Flash media player. Please note that you may need to take additional steps beyond changing your browser settings to refuse or disable Local Storage Objects and similar technologies. For example, Local Storage Objects can be controlled through the instructions on Adobe’s Setting Manager page.
Location information. This information can include, for example, information about your location derived from your IP address if you are on a computer, or your mobile device's more precise geolocation information.
Other information. We may receive additional information about you that is publicly or commercially available and combine that with the information we have collected or received about you in other ways. Also, we receive information about you when you choose to connect with social networking services while using our Services.
Google Analytics. We also collect information via Google Analytics. The analytics features we have implemented are Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, Remarketing, and Google Display Network Impression Reporting. Visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics using the Ads Settings and by using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
How We Use the Information We Collect and Receive
We use the information we collect and receive for the following general purposes:
To provide our Services. We use the information we collect and receive to provide you with the Services you use or request.
To provide additional information about the
The Rainforest Alliance’s work. This information includes updates on projects, new website features, invitations to special events, and opportunities to contribute financially.
To personalize the content you receive from us or view on our website.
To enforce our Terms of Service.
To improve our Services. We also use the information we collect and receive to provide content and advertising that users are likely to find relevant and engaging. We also use the information to conduct surveys to measure your satisfaction with our Services, which we use to improve our Services.
To provide effective advertising. Some of our Services provide advertising on third-party websites and apps. We use the information we collect and receive to make the advertising we provide more effective. Some of the ways we do this are:
- Showing you ads based on your online activities, such as the websites and applications you use, the content you view, and the searches you submit on those applications;
- Limiting the number of times you see the same ad; and
- Measuring the effectiveness of the ads we serve.
How We Share the Information We Collect and Receive
We may share information with:
- Affiliates. The information one Rainforest Alliance affiliate receives can be shared among other Rainforest Alliance affiliates.
- Business partners. We may share information with select business partners, who may use the information for a variety of purposes, including to provide you with relevant advertising.
- Other parties in response to legal process or when necessary to protect our Services. We may disclose your information to other parties when we have a good faith belief that:
- It is necessary to respond to lawful governmental requests or legal processes (for example, a court order, search warrant, or subpoena);
- The information is relevant to a crime that has been or is being committed;
- An emergency exists that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of another person; or
- It is necessary to protect the rights or property of the Rainforest Alliance.
In the event that the ownership of the Rainforest Alliance, Inc. or an affiliate or their assets changes as a result of a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy, your information may be transferred to another company.
Rainforest Alliance University. All information collected or received by the Rainforest Alliance from participants in the virtual Rainforest Alliance University is used to measure the impact of the Rainforest Alliance University. To that end, Rainforest Alliance will provide information such as the level of completion of courses and grades earned to the participant’s employer. In addition, the Rainforest Alliance may share de-identified, aggregate information on the performance of participants and the impact of the Rainforest Alliance University with Rainforest Alliance affiliates and business partners.
From time to time, we do make the street addresses of individuals who donate to the Rainforest Alliance available to other not-for-profit organizations whose missions we think might also be of interest to the individual. This applies to donors who give online, through the mail, or by phone. If you do not want us to share your street address with other organizations, please let us know by calling us at the number provided below; emailing us at the email address provided below, or writing to us at the street address provided below.
Companies or Individuals that Provide Services to the Rainforest Alliance
Companies or individuals that provide Services to the Rainforest Alliance or act on our behalf may have access to information about you. These companies are limited in their ability to use information they receive in the course of providing Service to us for any purposes other than the services for which we have engaged them.
Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising Services, or Functionality on Our Services
Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. Such third parties include:
- Advertising providers, which help us and our advertising customers provide ads that are tailored to users' interests and understand how users respond to those ads; and
- Audience-measurement companies, which help us measure the overall usage of our Services and compare that usage to other online services.
Some of these companies may participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive targeted ads. To learn more, please visit the websites of the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance.
"Do Not Track" Signals
Some web browsers may transmit "do not track" signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. The Rainforest Alliance currently does not take action in response to these signals.
Our Commitment to Security
Although no one can guarantee the security of the information collected and received, we do employ safeguards intended to mitigate the risk of unauthorized access or disclosure of this information.
If you have questions concerning our information practices with respect to children, or if you would like to review, have deleted, or stop the further collection of your child's personal information, you may contact us:
233 Broadway, 28th Floor
New York, NY 10279
+1 (212) 677-1900
The Rainforest Alliance is based in the United States, and, regardless of where you use our Services or otherwise provide information to us, the information may be transferred to and maintained on servers located in the U.S. Please note that any information we obtain about you will be stored in accordance with U.S. privacy laws, regulations, and standards, which may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. By using our Services or by providing us with your information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the U.S.
How to Contact Us