Assistant General Counsel
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Assistant General Counsel will be a corporate generalist and will provide legal support to the organization as it expands to new activities and jurisdictions. S/he will work closely with the General Counsel and the rest of the Office of the General Counsel, senior management, outside legal counsel and employees at all levels of the organization.
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of contracts (including, for example, collaborations with other organizations and fee-for-service, employment, consultant, federal and international grant program, non-disclosure, and licensing agreements);
- Provide support as necessary in connection with establishment, operation of and other issues relating to subsidiaries and other affiliates;
- Advise on structuring of new initiatives;
- Advise on domestic and international employment matters;
- Draft employee handbooks and develop and draft other internal policies;
- Assist with improvement of contract templates and procedures with a view to standardization and efficiency;
- Assist with training of staff in use of contract templates and related procedures and other legal topics;
- Manage relationships with pro bono and other outside attorneys; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Juris Doctorate degree (or its equivalent) and admittance to bar in New York State;
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience;
- Large law firm experience and top law school strongly preferred;
- Outstanding contract drafting, review and negotiation skills;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication and project management skills;
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously in diverse legal subject areas;
- Ability to train colleagues in organizational policies and procedures;
- Ability to interact confidently with senior management, outside counsel, board members, executives, representatives of government agencies and members of the public;
- The interpersonal skills and legal knowledge needed to become a trusted resource for staff throughout the organization;
- International and not-for-profit law experience preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=15089491. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.