Associate Manager, Quality System -- Sustainable Agriculture Network
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers
As a member and secretariat of the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) -- an international coalition of leading conservation organizations -- the Rainforest Alliance’s Sustainable Agriculture unit works with farmers to ensure compliance with the SAN standards for protecting wildlife, ecosystems, workers’ rights, and promoting the well-being of farmers, their families and communities. Farms that meet the SAN’s rigorous environmental, social and economic standards are awarded the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal. The SAN standards are applied by producers of major commodity crops (including bananas, pineapple, coffee, cocoa, tea, citrus and flowers) that profoundly affect the economies, environments, cultures and politics of tropical countries. Today more than 350,000 farms in 30 countries are certified and Rainforest Alliance Certified products are widely available in mainstream markets.
The Associate Manager will lead the development and implementation of the SAN's quality management system for core audit, certification and related processes under the SAN's administration and scope. This includes analysis and monitoring of audit and certification system processes in order to support the continual improvement of the SAN's standards, policies, and operations. This position will liaise closely with SAN staff, Rainforest Alliance's quality assurance staff and other partners in order to support highly effective, efficient and credible supply chain processes. An ongoing analysis of process workflows accompanied by structured reporting, actions and follow up will create the framework to support specific quality objectives and safeguard the integrity of the SAN's mission.
SAN Secretariat Planning &Support
- Lead the consolidation of feedback to the SAN management team to periodically refine and adapt quality system goals, objectives, tools and deliverables; and
- Ensure the alignment of effective quality management practices, documents and training with the evolving documentation of SAN standards, policies and operations protocols.
Quality System Implementation
- Provide support to the Operations Manager in the analysis, development and implementation of a quality management system for the SAN’s certification activities;
- Assemble the SAN’s quality system tools (work plans, budget, reporting mechanisms, progress reports, and evaluations) to ensure the system’s effectiveness;
- Develop and maintain a quality policy and a best practices guide for the execution and management of certification processes by certification bodies;
- Analyze and deliver certification process work flows and evaluation reports to support coordination of improvements and related follow up, as necessary;
- Develop a process for continuous system feedback from SAN/RA stakeholders in order to evaluate quality system priorities, indicators, areas of risk and monitoring methods; and
- Conduct periodic analyses of certification system structures and practices and identify opportunities to help achieve quality objectives.
Quality Assurance Oversight & Integration
- Proactively engage and collaborate with SAN staff to address certification process performance gaps or opportunities affected by certification system standards, policies and operations;
- Provide support in engagement and collaboration activities with Rainforest Alliance´s quality assurance and program staff in order to monitor the links between key processes along the supply chain and SAN quality objectives;
- Work with the SAN Systems Analyst to develop appropriate data systems, tools and dynamic reports to support certification system stakeholders in the delivery of quality objectives; and
- Provide research support, assistance and data reports to the SAN Secretariat and other program staff in order to enable quality-focused activities and initiatives.
- Conduct training events for SAN staff and other collaborators, as necessary;
- Manage specific staff or resources for special initiatives or specific projects, as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned;
- Degree in Natural Resource related field (i.e. Forestry, Wildlife, Biology). M.S., or equivalent academic degree preferred;
- 5-7 years of experience in quality assurance and the design, implementation and monitoring of quality management systems;
- Knowledge of auditing verification systems including frameworks, resources, procedures and effective processes;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in both English and Spanish;
- Strong planning, analytical, and project management skills, with ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to deadlines;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner;
- Exceptional communication, motivation, presentation & training skills;
- Proven ability to work effectively in cross-cultural environments and with a wide range of people with diverse economic, political and professional backgrounds in both public and private sectors;
- Proactive work attitude and ability to take initiative; the ideal candidate will be self-directed and highly motivated;
- Resourceful, detail-oriented, and dependable with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required;
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 15 percent per year internationally.
Commensurate with experience.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, P.O. Box 11029-1000, San Jose, Costa Rica; fax: (506) 234-8916 email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.