Chain of Custody Specialist II -- Quality Assurance, RA-Cert
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
RA-Cert, a division of the Rainforest Alliance, supports the organization’s mission by delivering sustainability auditing, verification, validation and certification services based on the best available global standards. RA-Cert conducts its work with the highest integrity, transparency and quality in order to generate positive economic, ecological and social benefits for our clients and worldwide.
The Chain of Custody (CoC) Specialist serves as the RA-Cert global resource for policies, systems, quality monitoring and training for the FSC CoC and CoC/Controlled Wood (CW) services implemented across RA-Cert regions, including partner/subcontractor organizations. Oversight of services includes maintenance of related RA-Cert accreditations, audit management, auditing, and monitoring of RA-Cert’s CoC portfolio to ensure consistent implementation of related policies and procedures, and timely follow through on complaints. The CoC Specialist also has oversight of RA-Cert’s trademark use systems.
Serve as technical expert for FSC Chain of Custody and Controlled Wood
- Serve as resource, including policy interpretation, for RA-Cert regional offices and subcontractors in the implementation of CoC, CoC/Controlled Wood (CW);
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures related to CoC and CoC/CW, including manuals, templates, and guidance materials;
- Maintain up-to-date information on the Rainforest Alliance web site, Technical Expert Resource Center (TXRC), and other related sites managed for staff and auditor resources;
- Oversee systems development for the CoC and CoC/CW components of new RA-Cert services;
- Oversee RA-Cert’s trademark use systems to ensure quality and consistency across regional office and subcontractor staff; and
- Work with Quality Assurance staff to improve efficiency and effectiveness of RA-Cert service procedures and tools.
FSC CoC Portfolio Oversight
- Coordinate with regional office and subcontractor staff regarding management of high profile and controversial clients (Engagement Risk Management);
- Coordinate with regional office staff and subcontractor to ensure timely and appropriate actions in response to stakeholder grievances and comments;
- Provide planning, auditing, technical and certification decision support for regions and subcontractors in relation to challenging or controversial FSC CoC and CoC/CW audits; and
- Provide regional support in the development of local auditor capacity.
Quality Monitoring and Training
- Work with the Quality Assurance (QA) Manager to develop, implement and maintain quality monitoring systems for review of CoC services;
- Perform quality review functions to ensure conformance and consistency in regional implementation of policies and procedures;
- Monitor auditor performance and overall quality of FSC CoC and CoC/CW auditing across all regions through report reviews and witness audits;
- Develop and maintain training modules and tools to improve FSC CoC auditor and staff competency; and
- Deliver training to RA-Cert and subcontractor staff and auditors as necessary.
Liaison with Accreditation Bodies, Rainforest Alliance
- Serve as point person for accreditation enquiries related to CoC, CoC/CW, and trademark services (e.g., FSC, ASI), including infringement investigations;
- In coordination with QA leadership, manage accreditation audits as they relate to CoC, CoC/CW, and trademark services, including review of audit findings and response to nonconformities issued to RA-Cert;
- Notify RA-Cert and subcontractor staff of necessary accreditation communications, including documents under review, finalized policies, and guidance; and
- Represent RA-Cert in technical discussions with FSC and other parties (e.g., researchers, stakeholders, associations) involved in FSC CoC and trademarks.
- Conduct audits of clients as necessary;
- Perform report review and approvals (RRAs) as necessary; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Natural Resource related field (i.e. Forestry, Wildlife, Biology); Advanced degree or equivalent academic degree preferred;
- 5- 7 years relevant technical experience; and 2 years FSC CoC auditing experience;
- Experience in Forest Stewardship Council certification protocols;
- Demonstrated experience in developing systems including tools, procedures and manuals;
- Solid experience in FSC certification and auditing required, including CoC/CW audits and RRAs;
- Experience in quality assurance;
- Knowledge of training program design, implementation, and evaluation;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook with a working knowledge of PowerPoint;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals
- Initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, detail oriented, dependability, strong attention to detail; and
- Ability to travel a minimum of 20%, nationally and internationally.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 233 Broadway, 28th Floor, New York, NY 10279; Fax: 212-677-2187; E-mail: Personnel@ra.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.