The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
The Deputy Controller will be a key member of the Finance & Administration team. Working closely with the Controller, s/he will work to ensure the integrity of the Rainforest Alliance’s finances. S/he will manage the day-to-day operations of the accounting department with a focus on the organization–wide monthly and annual closing processes and treasury functions. S/he will work closely with the Controller on the annual audit. S/he will be responsible for supervising the accounts payable, accounts receivable and staff accounting functions.
- Work closely with the Controller to develop, update, maintain and ensure compliance with standard GAAP accounting policies, procedures and protocols;
- Manage, train, and motivate accounting staff;
- Manage the accounting calendar and ensure timely and accurate completion of monthly and annual general ledger closings, including allocations;
- Work closely with Contracts & Grants Administration team and finance managers to make sure indirect expense and other allocations are in compliance with contractual agreements;
- Oversee the proper recording of temporary restricted and government funded transactions;
- Oversee regular recording of temporary restricted and governmental revenue recognition based on program expenditures;
- Responsible for the maintenance of the general ledger and subsidiary accounts;
- Monitor bank account balances and review monthly reconciliations;
- Monitor and report on daily cash flow activity;
- Manage credit card program and monitor compliance;
- Oversee the preparation and review of audit work papers and assist the Controller with the annual audit and Form 990 preparation as needed;
- Communicate relevant information both internally and externally;
- Serve as a backup for the Controller in his/her absence; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA a plus;
- Minimum 10 years relevant experience; non-profit sector experience a plus;
- Strong management skills and supervisory experience in accounting or finance environment required;
- Ability to manage multiple programs and contracts;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency with accounting system software, expertise in Excel and report writing software; Solomon experience a plus;
- Spanish language skills a plus; and
- Ability to work in a multicultural, diverse, and highly performance-driven environment.
Commensurate with experience.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=8495351. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.