Forest Management Coordinator – RA-Cert
The Rainforest Alliance s an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
The Forest Management (FM) Coordinator provides leadership and oversight in coordinating and managing the execution of certification services for the Rainforest Alliance Forest Management portfolio across Canada. S/he is directly involved in all aspects of FM certification pre-assessment, assessments and audits including scheduling, project management, customer service, auditor management and quality control. S/he makes certification decisions and presents findings to clients as well as interested parties to ensure the integrity of RA certificates. S/he will also participate in projects as an auditor. S/he interacts with governments, First Nations, ENGOs, industry representatives and other local interested parties throughout the certification process. The Coordinator regularly meets in person or via phone with various client staff, including chief foresters and (Vice-) Presidents, either to sell RA services or to present sometimes controversial conformance issues identified by the audit teams. The Coordinator is also responsible for providing training and mentoring to staff. In conjunction with RA-Cert’s overall strategy, the Coordinator will implement a marketing strategy for FM services in Canada with annual sales and business targets. The coordinator will serve as RA representative in Canada to expand the reach and visibility of the organization.
- Manage the execution of forest management pre-assessment, assessments and audits across Canada, including budgeting, service contracts, audit team identification, logistical planning, support to auditors, report review, coordinating peer reviews, and finalizing and approving reports;
- Ensure efficiency, quality control and adherence to RA technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under his/her responsibilities;
- Work closely with other RA FM staff to ensure consistency of standards interpretations across Canada;
- Following his/her certification decision, the Coordinator is responsible for presenting decisions on forest management conformance to the client's staff. The Coordinator's conformance decision sometimes imply significant expenses by clients to resolve the issues identified;
- Communicate with ENGOs, First Nations and other interested parties regarding assessment and audit status, explain RA position on forest management, interpretations of the FSC standard and certification decisions;
- Act as auditor and team leader on selected pre-assessments, assessments and audits projects;
- Coordinate with other staff, provide customer service to current and potential Rainforest Alliance clients, including, but is not limited to, responding to inquiries relating to FM, providing information about certification, market linkages, guidance on certification process, marketing and other aspects related to auditing services;
- Coordinate with consultants on agreements, scope of work, and monitor and approve resulting deliverables;
- Develop strong expertise in FSC forest management policies and protocols through onsite and remote training opportunities;
- Cooperate with and support other Rainforest Alliance staff in the execution and coordination of FM client recruitment, assessments and audits and other projects including developing and implementing annual audit schedules to ensure timely and efficient completion of audits;
- Provide monthly expense and progress reports to the Regional Manager;
- Coordinate with and support other staff with regards to financial and audit progress reports and planning;
- Promote and develop certification and verification services in Canada;
- Give presentations and attend meetings, as needed, to promote Rainforest Alliance and FSC certification;
- Support the development and launch of new products and services and assist in field testing;
- Contribute to developing client recruitment strategies for regional market segments and key forest landowners/managers.
- Assist in the development of materials and programs to train consultants to perform assessments and audits as required;
- Assist in delivering training to consultant auditors via webinar and/or in face-to-face training sessions;
- Provide input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Forest Ecology or related field required; Master’s Degree a plus;
- Minimum of 3 years of field experience in forestry, forest ecology or related areas;
- Written and verbal fluency in English required;
- Written and verbal fluency in French a plus;
- Environmental management system auditor training experience preferred;
- Knowledge of FSC certification and Rainforest Alliance a plus;
- Strong computer skills (word processing, databases, spreadsheets) and presentation skills;
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking skills and attention to detail;
- Initiative, self-motivation, resourcefulness, dependability;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 20 percent of the time.Field auditing may require exposure to difficult terrain and hot, dry or cold, inclement weather.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary history to Rainforest Alliance, Box 1771, Chelsea, QC, J9B 1A1.
Fax: (866) 438-1971. Email: email@example.com. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.