Junior Accountant -- Finance & Administration Division
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behaviour. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Junior Accountant is a key member of the New York Accounting team, working closely with the Finance & Accounting teams to ensure payments are processed in a timely fashion and reconciliations occurs regularly.
- Process properly approved payment request/invoices;
- Conduct weekly disbursement of payment for vendors/consultants and employees for out of pocket expenses;
- Print checks for domestic payments and initiate wires for domestic and international payments;
- Verify that proper documentation/receipts supporting invoices are submitted for payment;
- Re-compute totals for accuracy and verify correct mileage rates used in reimbursement calculations;
- Assemble check and wire payment requests for signature/release;
- Reconcile staff advances and open accounts payables;
- Release vouchers in Solomon Accounts Payable Module;
- Ensure that PRF packets and check stubs are filed in the appropriate folder;
- Provide requested information and schedules to auditors as needed;
- Generate reports on a regular basis;
- Prepare adjusting journal entries if required;
- Help with 1099 preparations;
- Process staff reimbursements through business portal;
- Serve as a backup to others in the accounting department; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required;
- 1-2 years accounting experience, nonprofit and program experience a plus;
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Strong mathematical, analytical and technical skills required;
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail;
- Ability to take initiative and work within a team structure as well as independently;
- Strong research skills, creativity and resourcefulness;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills;
- Written and verbal Spanish language fluency a plus; and
- Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 233 Broadway, 28th Floor, New York, NY 10279; Fax: 212-677-2187; Email: Personnel@ra.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.