Senior Accountant, Guatemala -- Finance & Administration
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Senior Accountant is a key member of the Guatemala Field Office Administration team. Working closely with Finance & Accounting in headquarters (HQ F&A), the Administration Manager, Guatemala, the Accounting Manager, Latin America and the Guatemala Head of Office, s/he will work to ensure the integrity of the Rainforest Alliance’s financial operations in all local offices.
- Ensure/support finance-related compliance including coordinating with external accountants and auditors as needed to prepare and present the reports required by various government entities, in close coordination with HQ F&A, the Administration Manager, Guatemala and Accounting Manager, Latin America;
- Review and submit the monthly field office accounting report (FOAR) in a timely manner;
- In coordination with HQ, Administration Manager, Guatemala and the local Human Resources Representative, process monthly payroll (in-house or through payroll company);
- Prepare/review required payroll-related government reporting; file and submit payments on a timely basis;
- In coordination with the Human Resources Representative and Administration Manager, Guatemala, ensure payroll-related labor law compliance;
- Adhere to government, local tax laws and HQ-New York accounting and legal requirements;
- Implement and monitor internal controls in accordance with HQ F&A, local policies and best practices; and provide related training;
- Monitor office cash flow and coordinate with program personnel (administrators of programs and projects) to prepare monthly estimates of cash flow;
- Maintain local accounting system and prepare/post journal entries;
- Maintain and secure accounting and payroll records;
- Ensure correct coding and recording of information;
- Provide information as needed for the Rainforest Alliance parent company audit;
- Provide support/coordinate the preparation of project specific audits;
- Responsible for reviewing and approving as appropriate: travel expense reports, invoices, payments, advances, and receivables; review and post journal entries;
- Prepare/assist in preparation of financial reports for a variety of internal and external purposes including local accounting reports, requests for reimbursement to donors, reports for HQ F&A;
- Prepare ad-hoc reports as needed;
- Provide backup to other Field Office Accountants and Regional Accounting Manager as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in Accounting or Finance;
- 5-7 years relevant experience; non-profit sector experience a plus;
- Demonstrated proficiency with accounting system software and Excel;
- Detail, deadline and solution-oriented;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Written and verbal proficiency in English;
- Willingness to travel domestically between local offices;
- Experience in a global work environment and/or international nonprofit organization preferred; and
- Ability to work successfully with employees from diverse backgrounds.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided.
Only candidates authorized to work in Guatemala will be considered.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, 8 Avenida 15-62, zona 10, Ciudad Guatemala, Guatemala 01010. Fax: (502) 2383-5777; Email: email@example.com. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.