Since 2003, the Rainforest Alliance has organized coffee cuppings to create an opportunity for Rainforest Alliance Certified™ coffees to undergo systematic evaluation by a group of industry experts.
The goal of the Rainforest Alliance Cupping for Quality is to show the link between best social, ecological and economic sustainability practices and quality in the cup. By bringing together a diverse group of qualified cuppers in the international coffee community, this program helps to build a bridge between those who grow coffee on Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms and the roaster and importer communities.
The official results of the Rainforest Alliance Cuppings are publicized in key trade publications and media outlets and shared with coffee buyers around the world. The participating producers are recognized each year at the Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Coffee Breakfast, which takes place at the Specialty Coffee Expo every April.
The location, date, and time for the next Rainforest Alliance Cupping for Quality have yet to be set. Please check back at a later date for more information.
How to Submit a Sample
Participation in the Rainforest Alliance cupping is reserved for farms that are in compliance with the Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Standard and have a current farm certificate. Participants can submit a maximum of one sample for each certificate holder.
If you are interested in submitting a sample please contact Sara Young at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in Participating as a Cupper?
The Rainforest Alliance Cupping for Quality is an invite-only event. Cuppers are carefully selected based on their reputation and knowledge of specialty coffee, their current engagement with the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ coffee program, and their commitment to sustainability in the coffee industry. Interested Cuppers should contact Sara Young email@example.com with inquiries.
Rainforest Alliance Cupping for Quality Results
- September 2018
- March 2017
- March 2016
- December 2015
- March 2015
- March 2014
- March 2013
- December 2012
- March 2012
- December 2011
- April 2011
- December 2010
- May 2010
- December 2009
- March 2009
Media Coverage of the Rainforest Alliance Cupping for Quality
- From Coffee Talk, January 2013
- From Coffee Habitat, January 2013
- "Long Beach's Growing Coffee Culture Brings National Competition.", Long Beach Post, January 2013
- "More than Beans, A Quest for Great Tasting Sustainable Coffee.", TriplePundit, January 2013
- "Rainforest Alliance Cupping Challenge.", CoffeeTalk, February 2011 (PDF)
- "Where Quality Meets Sustainability.", Tea & Coffee Trade Journal, March 2010 (PDF)
- "Rainforest Alliance Cupping.", The Specialty Coffee Chronicle, 2009 issue no. 3 (PDF)
- From Coffee Habitat, April 2009
- "Where Quality Meets Sustainability." From Coffee Talk