The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Accounting Manager will be a key member of the Finance & Accounting team. Working closely with the Director of Accounting/Controller, s/he will work to ensure timely and accurate completion of monthly and annual general ledger closings to meet accounting calendar deadlines. S/he will manage the day-to-day operations of the Accounts Payable (A/P) function and oversee the proper recording of temporary restricted and government funded transactions.
- Oversee the proper recording of temporary restricted and government funded transactions;
- Oversee regular recording of temporary restricted and governmental revenue recognition based on program expenditures;
- Oversee preparation of relevant monthly closing jounal entries and other monthly closing tasks;
- Maintain and adjust monthly allocation processes as needed;
- Work closely with Contracts & Grants Admistration team and finance mgrs to make sure indirect expense and other allocations are in compliasnce with contractual agreements;
- Responsible for updating and maintaining A/P policies and procedures to ensure compliance with accounting policies and procedures;
- Manage, coach and train A/P staff;
- In coordination with the other Accounting Managers, ensure timely and accurate completion of monthly and annual general ledger closings to meet accounting calendar deadlines;
- Monitor US bank account balances and review monthly reconciliations;
- Monitor cash flow activity;
- Ensure AP accuracy and timeliness;
- Oversee credit card program and monitor compliance;
- Prepare and review of audit work papers and assist the Director of Accounting/Controller with the annual audit and F990 preparation as needed;
- Review outgoing payments (checks and wire requests) and attached backup documentation;
- Communicate relevant information both internally and externally;
- Review and analyze pertinent general ledger accounts on a regular basis; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance;
- 7-10 years relevant experience; non-profit sector experience required;
- Strong staff supervision experience in accounting or finance environment;
- Ability to manage multiple programs and contracts;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency with accounting system software, expertise in Excel and report writing software; Solomon experience a plus;
- Spanish language skills a plus; and
- Ability to work in a multicultural, diverse, and highly performance-driven environment.
Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package provided.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=9783501. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.