Forest Management Associate -- RA-Cert
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Forest Management (FM) Associate provides leadership and oversight in coordinating and managing the execution of certification services for clients in the region. S/he will be directly involved in all aspects of FM certification pre-assessment, assessments and audits including scheduling, project management, customer service, auditor management and quality control.
- Manage the execution of forest management pre-assessment, assessments and audits in region, including budgeting, service contracts, audit team identification, logistical planning, support to auditors, report review, coordinating peer reviews, and finalizing and approving reports;
- Ensure efficiency, quality control and adherence to Rainforest Alliance technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under his/her responsibilities;
- Communicate with local representatives and other interested parties regarding assessment and audit status, explain Rainforest Alliance’s position on forest management, interpretations of the FSC standard and certification decisions;
- Act as auditor and team leader on selected pre-assessments, assessments and audits projects;
- Coordinate with other staff, provide customer service to current and potential Rainforest Alliance clients , including, but is not limited to, responding to inquiries relating to FM, SmartLogging, legality and Carbon services, providing information about certification, market linkages, guidance on certification process, marketing and other aspects related to auditing services;
- Coordinate with consultants on agreements, scope of work, and monitor and approve resulting deliverables;
- Ensure efficiency, quality control and adherence to FSC and Rainforest Alliance technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under his/her responsibilities;
- Develop strong expertise in FSC forest management and SmartLogging policies and protocols through onsite and remote training opportunities;
- Cooperate with and support other Rainforest Alliance staff in the execution and coordination of FM client recruitment, assessments and audits and other projects including developing and implementing annual audit schedules to ensure timely and efficient completion of audits;
- Directly manage key FM certification projects;
- Provide monthly expense and progress reports to the Associate Manager;
- Coordinate with and support other staff with regards to financial and audit progress reports and planning; and
- Ensure FM Assistant maintains accuracy of certification related information in Rainforest Alliance database.
- Promote and develop certification and verification services in region;
- Give presentations and attend meetings, as needed, to promote Rainforest Alliance and FSC certification;
- Support the development and launch of new products and services and assist in field testing; and
- Contribute to developing client recruitment strategies for regional market segments and key landowners.
- Assist in the development of materials and programs to train contractors to perform assessments and audits as required;
- Provide input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system; and
- Other duties as assigned.
This position may supervise staff
Position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; monitoring work to ensure it is being done accurately and within the timeframes of targets, appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Forest Ecology or related field required; Master’s Degree a plus;
- Minimum 4 years experience in forestry, forest ecology or related field;
- Environmental management system auditor training experience preferred;
- Knowledge of Rainforest Alliance Certification and/or FSC certification a plus;
- GIS knowledge and experience desired but not required;
- Strong computer skills (word processing, databases, spreadsheets) and presentation skills;
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking skills and attention to detail;
- Initiative, self-motivation, resourcefullness, dependability;
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong customer service skills;
- Fluent written and verbal communication in English required; communication skills in an one or more Asia Pacific languages a plus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 30 percent of the time. Field auditing may require exposure to difficult terrain and hot, dry or cold, inclement weather.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in Indonesia will be considered
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, Jl. Tantular Barat No. 88, Denpasar Bali 80114, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.