Productivity and Quality Associate, Coffee & Cocoa -- Sustainable Agriculture
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Rainforest Alliance’s Sustainable Agriculture unit works with farmers on the implementation of the standards of the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) for protecting wildlife, ecosystems, workers’ rights, and promoting the well-being of farmers, their families and communities. Farms that meet the SAN’s rigorous environmental, social and economic standards are awarded the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal. The SAN standards are applied by producers of major commodity crops (including bananas, pineapple, coffee, cocoa, tea, citrus and flowers) that profoundly affect the economies, environments, cultures and politics of tropical countries. Today more than 900,000 farms in 44 countries are certified and Rainforest Alliance Certified products are widely available in mainstream markets.
The Productivity and Quality Associate, Coffee & Cocoa will be responsible for providing technical support for the implementation of activities related to the four (4) components of the Peru Opportunity Fund project “Enhanced Livelihoods in Junin and Pasco through Sustainable Coffee & Cocoa (Phase II)”: Training for sustainable productivity increases; improved water treatment; improved business and market performance through certification; and increased access to finance. S/he will work focusing on issues of productivity and quality of coffee & cocoa in the landscape, within a framework of biodiversity conservation and sustainable livelihoods. Additionally, the Productivity and Quality Associate will train professionals, specialists and producers in implementing sustainable agricultural practices to facilitate the process of certification for cocoa and coffee and verification of the climate module.
- Develop modules, tools and guidance materials for good agricultural practices to achieve increased productivity and quality, mainly in coffee and cocoa;
- Identify and promote agricultural best practices at farm level;
- Facilitate, promote and implement SAN standards;
- Provide professionals, specialists and producers guidance on practices and technologies used to increase productivity and quality on coffee and cocoa production;
- Implement and track progress on the establishment of demonstrative plots with technologies and practices in accordance with SAN standards;
- Promote partnerships with state and private organizations to integrate production in value chains or other schemes requesting costs and quality control, and enhancement of productivity;
- Provide information on funding and market opportunities;
- Advise and collaborate with coffee and cocoa producer organizations in the implementation of work plans;
- Organize field visits and experience interchanges with successful coffee and cocoa producers in different regions of Peru;
- Contribute with development of work plans and progress reports in accordance with established performance indicators approved by POF;
- Establish relationships with regional and local agricultural policy makers in the region where the project is being implemented and participate in forums or policy dialogues to contribute to dissemination of sustainability of agricultural practices; and
- Other duties assigned.
- University degree in Agricultural Engineering or related Natural Resources field required;
- 3 - 5 years field experience with sustainable agriculture, rural development, both at planning and implementation of activities level;
- 3 - 5 years field experience in productive and quality processes on coffee and cocoa;
- Knowledge of the SAN standards, as well as their implementation processes and procedures;
- Experience and working understanding of the processes and benefits of the Rainforest Alliance Certification and its implications for certified farmers, especially in coffee and cocoa;
- Comprehend issues and challenges related to adult education and skill development, particularly in farmers/beneficiaries;
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to manage relationships with the private sector, producers and other NGOs;
- Experience in managing and supervising field staff;
- Very strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and in teams, assess priorities and pay attention to detail; and
- Ability and willingness to travel 80 percent of the time.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in Peru will be considered.
Send resume, cover letter and salary history to Human Resources, Rainforest Alliance, Lima, Peru; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If emailing, use the following format in the subject line: first name and last name, job title of position you are applying for.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.