Companies and farms seeking to offer certified agricultural products, use the Rainforest Alliance name and/or use the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ (RAC) seal must adhere to the following requirements:
For Farms and Farm Groups
Farmers and producer groups wishing to offer Rainforest Alliance Certified products must achieve certification to the Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Standard. Certified farms must sign a license agreement to sell products with the Rainforest Alliance name or RAC seal and get approval via the Rainforest Alliance Certified Marketplace to use any Rainforest Alliance trademarks. Learn more about farm certification.
For All Other Companies
- Register in the Rainforest Alliance Certified Marketplace.
- Sign a license agreement via Marketplace.
- Source products or ingredients from certified farms and meet the purchasing and manufacturing specifications outlined in the Requirements and Guidelines for Use of the Rainforest Alliance Trademarks so that products are eligible to bear the RAC seal or be sold as RAC.
- Confirm traceability by requesting Transaction Certificates (TC)* from supplier(s) and issuing TCs for all sales of the RAC products. This ensures that the products or ingredients purchased were grown on Rainforest Alliance Certified farms. See our complete Traceability Guidelines for details.
* TCs currently available for bananas, cocoa, coconut oil, coffee, orange juice, palm oil and tea. All other crops must demonstrate sourcing from RAC farms by providing proof of purchase/invoices via Marketplace.
- Develop packaging and promotional materials with the Rainforest Alliance name or RAC seal in accordance with the Requirements and Guidelines for Use of the Rainforest Alliance Trademarks and upload them for approval in Marketplace. Any public use of our marks or name in all forms of material and media is subject to review and approval and must be submitted.
- Pay a quarterly royalty to the Rainforest Alliance for purchased volumes of Rainforest Alliance Certified products, if applicable. See our Responsibilities & Costs page for more information.
- Complete a Chain of Custody Risk Assessment (CRA) via Marketplace to apply for Chain of Custody certification within 6 months of registration in order to remain eligible to continue selling products as RAC, using the RAC seal, or using the Rainforest Alliance name or other trademarks. Learn more about the Chain of Custody Standard and Policy, or download the binding standard and policy documents for yourself.