Like the other haciendas operated by The Luxury Collection Hotels in the Yucatan and Campeche, Santa Rosa hacienda is a part of one of the world’s most successful sustainable tourism projects. Over the past 20 years, this project has met the needs of local communities and tourists. The most valuable aspect of the project is its social benefits. We started hiring and training local workers for construction and later for working in different positions in the hotel.
Hacienda Santa Rosa also has a boutique where artisan-designed handicrafts are sold. These items are certified by the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO).
The Therapists Spa training project developed as a result of searching for development opportunities for local women to provide spa services in our hotels. Our therapists have inherited ancestral Mayan wisdom known as “sobada” and they can heal with their hands. They pass on their knowledge to younger women in their communities. Guests have the opportunity to have a magical and unique experience that fuses rest for the spirit with ancient Maya traditions.
Integrated community development is done with the Fundación Haciendas del Mundo Maya A.C., which works in the following areas:
- Education and culture
- Health and nutrition
- Infrastructure and housing
- Environment and natural Resources
- Social enterprises
- Human development
Hacienda Santa Rosa continually strengthens its actions to foster sustainability. Based on this commitment, our main actions are:
- Measurement and minimization of energy consumption.
- Measurement and minimization of drinking water consumption.
- Measurement and proper management of wastewater.
- Measurement and minimization of solid waste (inorganic and organic).
- Appropriate management of hazardous substances and wastes.
- Conservation and documentation of flora and fauna species on the property.