Interested in purchasing products from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms? The first step is to become part of our 2020 certification program and receive certification.
What is supply chain certification?
Supply chain certification tracks a product from a Rainforest Alliance certified farm through every step of the production process. It provides assurance on the integrity of your supply chain and therefore allow you to confidently claim the certified origin of your product.
Supply chain certification allows your company to source and sell certified products with the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal. It helps you meet the rising demand for more sustainable products, being able to access new markets while reducing potential reputational risks. Our teams are available to support you throughout the entire process of your supply chain certification.
How do I get supply chain certification?
- Register in our new platform, MultiTrace. You will receive an invitation to do so by us.
- Once your account registration has been confirmed, you will be able to build your company profile.
- The profile completion process includes a series of questions about your operations which is known as the Supply Chain Risk Assessment (SCRA). The SCRA evaluates the potential risks of your company’s operations on individual site level in order to determine the type and frequency of verification required. Your company’s profile is based on the activities, location and crop information captured through this process in combination with other internal and third-party data (volumes, compliance, social risks, and others). We will then calculate into which one of the five verification levels your company fits.
- Once you have completed building your profile in MultiTrace, you will be able to view the set of requirements specific to your context and our Supply Chain team will review your SCRA to inform you about your verification level and next steps. Please note: We expect an influx of profiles to review at the beginning of this process which may lead to longer review times However, we expect to increasingly automate the process as we move forward.
- You will be able to see your results and next steps in your MultiTrace profile.
- The certification body that you select for the audit process will provide a schedule and budget for your audit. The frequency of audits will depend on your risk category, please see the schedule below.
- After your first audit against the new program, the certification body shares the audit results with you. If the results are positive, your company is approved for a Supply Chain certificate and will be issued a license to access our traceability platform. The license allows a company to trade certified product in our online traceability platform.
- Supply Chain certified companies are required to maintain compliance with our 2020 Sustainable Agriculture Standard throughout the duration of their certification.
Supply chain certification audit schedule
This schedule covers the three-year supply chain certification cycle as well as the transition year.
|Verification Level||Transition Year||Verification Method|
|A – Lowest Risk||RA review||RA review||RA automated check||RA automated check|
|B||CB desk audit||CB desk audit||RA review||RA automated check|
|C||CB desk audit||CB onsite||CB desk audit||RA review|
|D||CB desk audit||CB onsite||CB onsite||CB desk audit|
|E Highest Risk||CB desk audit||CB onsite||CB onsite||CB onsite|
Rainforest Alliance and UTZ mutual recognition
While you are still certified against one of the legacy programs (UTZ or Rainforest Alliance Chain of Custody 2018, 2017, respectively), you may want to make use of the mutual recognition for the Rainforest Alliance and UTZ Chain of Custody certifications. This means that you can source both Rainforest Alliance and UTZ certified products with only one annual audit. Companies can request mutual recognition to the legacy program through December 31st, 2022. To learn more, visit our mutual recognition guidelines.
Rainforest Alliance 2015 program and UTZ Choc program
The CRA/audit application process is now closed in order to allow time to transition to our new program. However, we will consider cases in which companies are needing to get certified to the current programs and plan to receive an audit to the legacy RA/UTZ Chain of Custody.
Note for the 2015 Rainforest Alliance program: You can proceed with other activities in Marketplace, such as requesting a License Agreement and submitting a trademark request as soon as you have registered in Marketplace. To register, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
UTZ program documents: Certification for Companies.